Square Tiered Cake - Plate & Pillar Problems!

Decorating By sugarbritches Updated 3 Oct 2007 , 7:05pm by sugarbritches

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:08am
post #1 of 8

I need some help! 95% of the wedding cakes i've done are stacked, but I have one this weekend that is tiered w/roses between tiers. No big deal I thought, but I can't find all the square plates I need anywhere in town!! I can only find 8 and 14 inch and I need 10" It's too late to order any. Any suggestions? Is there a way to use round?

7 replies
neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:43am
post #2 of 8

I have never done this, but it just popped into my head. Could you get a piece of wood cut down to the size you need and glue the pillars to that? I am assuming you are assembling on site, it might work. Hopefully someone else can help!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:56am
post #3 of 8

Yes you can use round plates under square cakes, just make sure you double up the cardboards that are directly underneath the cakes.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:42am
post #4 of 8

Absolutely you can use round plates under a square cake.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:56am
post #5 of 8

Hi Sugarbritches,
Do you have a Hobby Lobby anywhere close to you? Ours carries the square plates.
jibbies

melotte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melotte Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:03am
post #6 of 8

You can use the round separators and use an Elmer's foam board under the cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 8

I do a lot of square cakes and use the round plates all the time. As was mentioned above, just be sure the square cardboard is strong enought to support the corners of the cake.

Squares must be getting really really popular. I decided to increase my square plate inventory and my cake supply shop had a limited inventory. I asked her if she had any others in the back and she said when she went to CK to get her order, even THEY didn't have any square plates!

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 8

thanks everyone!! This helps a ton! Now I'm not so panicked!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%