Questions About Sugarveil Icing

Decorating By Danielle111 Updated 17 Sep 2013 , 7:15pm by Shasha2727

MandyBs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyBs Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 10:53pm
post #31 of 53

I got my fabric painter today at Michael's with my 50% coupon! I was so excited I locked my keys in the car! Now, please, somebody duplicate the SV icing recipe - I hate to spend more for the icing than I did for the painter. icon_biggrin.gif

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 11:12pm
post #32 of 53

Somebody posted this on the other SugarVeil topic:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oops! Sorry crp7- thought I had done that- must have been on another forum! Here it is.......

3 egg whites
1Tbsp Cream of Tartar
2lbs Powder Sugar
1 pkg Gelatin (dissolved in a little bit of water)
2 cups MM (melted)

I mixed the first 3 ingredients together for 10 minutes as if making royal........then added the Gelatin, then the Marshmellows..........beat until it is stiff enough to pipe ( maybe 5 more minutes or so)

Try it and see what you think!

I haven't tried it yet, but hope someone does soon!

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 11:30pm
post #33 of 53

I finally found the painter at Michaels. I had called yesterday and was told they don't carry it. So I went to the store myself and there it was, last one on the shelf. Got it for $12.99 with the 50% off coupon (prices are higher up here). Can't wait to try it.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:36am
post #34 of 53

I'm really curious to see how the fabric pen works! Has anyone tried the recipe yet? I'm very intrigued.... I was also thinking about playing around with the ingredients listed on the sugarveil icing mix. It's just sugar, dried egg whites, maltodextrin, cornstarch and xanthangum. I wonder if it's just the maltodextrin and xanthangum that make it flexible??

Courtney

MandyBs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyBs Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 1:58pm
post #35 of 53

I was thinking the same thing. I found sources for the maltodextrin and the xanthangum online. Does anyone know if these would be available at any stores?

deetmar Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 9:50pm
post #36 of 53

Okay, has anybody tried the fabric painter yet? I haven't had time, but maybe this weekend.

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:06pm
post #37 of 53

Playingwithsugar .. just saw your question about breakage. The only time I've had a problem with breaking is when I've let the pieces dry too much. I try to place them when they retain their form, but are still flexible, yet not sticky on the bottom. I usually lift a corner to test to see if it's ready.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:19am
post #38 of 53

Has anyone been the BRAVE one?

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:45am
post #39 of 53

SOMEONE TRY IT! If I get a chance to get over to Michael's in my area this week, I will get one and try it too.............I just want an easy set up and something clean. I never thought I had a need for sugarveil, especially at the price..........anyone tried the recipe?

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 1:20pm
post #40 of 53

I'll stop by Michael's today and see if they have one of those paint things and I'll try it this evening. I'm really curious myself, and I've had this SugarVeil sitting around for 2 months.

deetmar Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 1:28pm
post #41 of 53

I still haven't had time to try it yet. It is sitting in my sewing room icon_eek.gif

I have two big cakes going on, so when I get them done, I will give it a try. I don't have big enough memory capacity to do to many things at once, so it will have to wait. icon_razz.gif Sorry!

Alligande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alligande Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 9:12pm
post #42 of 53

I just bought mine today I will report when I get a chance to experiment

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 10:20pm
post #43 of 53

Has anyone used the recipe posted? I tried it yesterday, and it tasted good but it just wasn't what I expected. I don't have a dispenser, I just used a piping bag and tips. There were points on the ends of stuff and also it wasn't flexible when it was dry. It was pretty much just like not-so-hard royal icing. Did anyone else get results like that?

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:32pm
post #44 of 53

I bought mine about two weeks ago, but I need to make the recipe for that icing that was posted here, haven't had the time to test it.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:37am
post #45 of 53

I'm bumping this up to see if anyone has tried that machine yet?

Clarab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clarab Posted 17 May 2013 , 5:53am
post #46 of 53

Hi from London!  my sugarveil keeps going crispy so that when i try to lift it off the mat, it just crumbles?!?  what have i done wrong?  any suggestions?  thanks! Clara

Clarab Posted 17 May 2013 , 9:03am
post #47 of 53

Hi from London, tried sugarveil yesterday, thought i did everything right, but when it came to separate it from the mat, the sugar veil was all crispy and it just crumbled.   help!  help, my sister's baby shower is tomorrow!!!  icon_cry.gif

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 20 May 2013 , 4:00pm
post #48 of 53

Hi Clara - here's a quick answer for you. If SugarVeil in the mat has dried, it means that it has gone beyond the stage of flexibility, and you just need to catch it sooner. Overnight, for example, can be too long a time to set SugarVeil if you are using one of the more delicate Confectioners' Mats (Flower Net, Circle Bouquets for example http://www.sugarveil.com/mat/sugarveil-mat.htm). The length of setting time also is influenced by the use of furnace forced-air heat, fans, operating ovens, or sunlight - all tend to dry out the moisture in the air and will speed the setting.

Here are some helpful tips for you: https://www.facebook.com/SugarVeilicing/notes. Read 'SugarVeil in Dry Conditiions' and 'Tips for using the Confectioners' Mats'. If you've any questions, you can get a quick answer via our Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/sugarveilicing. Thank you!

Clarab Posted 21 May 2013 , 8:22am
post #49 of 53

Thank you so much for all the info!  I did eventually got it out of the mat at the last possible minute and managed to decorate the cake and cupcakes!  But I need to practice more and get used to it.  Thanks again .  Clara 

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 5:26pm
post #50 of 53

Any news on this topic?

I am in love with Sugarveil regardless the high cost LOL! I'm planing on using it for a heavy Indian style cake and was wondering what else fellow cakers have found.

I've been testing using silicon molds from different sources some deep, some not and also piping, in all cases success in releasing from mold depends on the amount of time let to cure. I live in humid hot Houston and is Summer now and noticed there's no rule as the product reacts to the weather conditions.

pjckmen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjckmen Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 5:37pm
post #51 of 53
Very good and has many improvements and exciting new.
what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 6:52pm
post #52 of 53

Oh, forgot to mention. Sugarveil has no gelatin at all, in case someone has been requested a Halal compliant cake or cupcakes.

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 7:15pm
post #53 of 53

A little bit of SugarVeil goes a LONG way, so I don't find the mix to be too expensive.  I just wish I could afford the tools; they look like such fun. Also, it lasts a LONG time. I had a pack that was 3 or more years old, that had been stored in a box in the hot garage all that time, and it worked perfectly when I used it recently.  If anyone has any used SugarVeil tools for sale, could you please contact me?  Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%