Cherry Filling

Decorating By angelas2babies Updated 3 Oct 2007 , 2:15pm by norma20

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 9

I have a cake due this weekend and she wants chocolate cake with some type of cherry filling for the bottom layer. I haven't used any type of cherry filling before. I don't want to use fresh cherries, so what are my options?

Has anyone used cherry filling and have ideas or tips that they can share? Thank you!

Angie

8 replies
amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 9

Actually I made one last week and everyone loved it......so much that by the time I finished eating all of it was gone!!! icon_cry.gif

I made a 2 layer choc. cake and used cherry pie filling. I picked out the cherries though trying to keep out as much of the juice/gel as possible. Piped a BC dam then put in the cherries. Iced the whole thing in bc, used a rosette boarder and a few rosettes clumped together in the middle. Than I put a few maraschino cherries on it and grated choc sprinkled on top.

Would love to know what you decided to do!

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 9

I did this recently I did what was recommended, by mixing some cake crumb with buttercream for the dam, this made more of a "cement" to ensure not seaping out. I used can cherry filling. I did find that it was awful "syrupy". Would have liked more cherries personally. I did not eat this did it for a friend. But she and her sons loved it. Mine was filling in a WASC cake.

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 9

You can try the filling for the Mt. Vernon Cherry Cake in the Cake Mix Doctor cookbook. It's a can or cherries (not pie filling), corn syrup and a few other ingredients. It gets thick.

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 9

You can try the filling for the Mt. Vernon Cherry Cake in the Cake Mix Doctor cookbook. It's a can or cherries (not pie filling), corn syrup and a few other ingredients. It gets thick.

pastrygirl33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirl33 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:33am
post #6 of 9

I use Bing cherries they are the best! just drain them they come in a can, towel them off place on your cake in your cream and to add even more flavoring add a Kirsch liquor to wet your cake. I prefer never to use the cherry pie filling it's way to wet and syrupy and it kinda has an artificial taste.

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 12:20pm
post #7 of 9

I use Solo Cherry Cake & Pastry filling. I've mixed it with buttercream to use as a filling and I've also used in the Rich Cream Filling recipe in the recipe section- both ways were delicious.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you, everyone! Great ideas!!

Angie

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 2:15pm
post #9 of 9

How about that?

3 TBS sugar
1 1/2 Tbs cornstarch
1/4 cup orange juice
1 pound of fresh or frozen cherries, pitted

Stir sugar and cornstarch together. Stir in orange juice. Cook and stir over low heat till thickned and bubbly. Add the cherries, cook a little bit more.

Fresh and delicious! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%