Need Opinions On Cake For Funeral For A Pastor

Decorating By tiggy2 Updated 4 Oct 2007 , 10:58pm by Doug

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 18

Our Pastor passed away yesterday and I'd like to take a cake to the luncheon after the service. The only idea I have come up with is an edible image of the poem "The Dash" by Linda Ellis. Does anyone have any better ideas or do you think this is a good idea?

17 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 18

an empty cross
an open tomb
eternal life with Christ.

images of cross and tomb and then heavenly gates or halo
----

well, done thou good and faithful servant (with image of cross and crown?)

----

in my father's house (mansion) are many rooms

I go to prepare a room for you.

(image of room w/ reserved sign on it and his name)

----

resting in the arms of God (Christ) (image a child asleep in a fathers arms)

----

Gone to meet the King.

image of his office door w/ that as a sign hung up on it.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 18

I like the idea of the reserved room in heaven!!!!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 18

I like the reserved idea and the well done thou good and faithful servant. Either one is nice, actually all are nice ideas . You go Doug!!!!!

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 18

If you have a poem you feel is fitting- do the edible image and place it on an open book. If you don't have the book pan, you can easily carve the shape into any size sheet cake. Maybe have the poem on one page, and on the other page have his name, the church's name, etc.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 18

Really nice ideas!

In times like this, I like anything that makes me feel loved and cared for and my loved one remembered. There is just something about knowing that someone went to some effort to do something for you, you know?

So, that makes me think anything beautiful could be appropriate, especially if it has some meaning to your pastor and your church.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 18

Personally (and please remember this is just my opinion) I wouldn't do any kind of "decorative" cake, not meaning you can't decorate it. I would just stear clear of anything with pictures or writing, etc. on it. What about a beautifully decorated Black Forest cake or Carrot Cake, etc? I would just think more attention should be focused on the deceased and the family than on the cake in that moment......and this is coming from someone who thinks cake is almost always appropriate. Hope you decide on something that is right for you though!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 18

Oh I love the idea with the sign about going to meet the King! By the time I got to that one I was almost in tears!

I hope your "family" can adjust to this time of sorrow!

caryl Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 18

BTW just looked up the poem. How very nice! I would definitely use it! Sounds like the dash between his dates represents a lot to you and your church - my sympathies to all.

Doug Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 18

and I have read the poem too would NOT use it in any way as...

it is aimed at the living to warn them, to goad them, to prod them into reevaluating their lives

it does not remember the deceased or in any way celebrate his life.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:39pm
post #11 of 18

How about II Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith

And may God strengthen you, your family and your church family thruough these next days.

tiggy2 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:44pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoos

Personally (and please remember this is just my opinion) I wouldn't do any kind of "decorative" cake, not meaning you can't decorate it. I would just stear clear of anything with pictures or writing, etc. on it. What about a beautifully decorated Black Forest cake or Carrot Cake, etc? I would just think more attention should be focused on the deceased and the family than on the cake in that moment......and this is coming from someone who thinks cake is almost always appropriate. Hope you decide on something that is right for you though!

That's why I thought maybe just a sheet cake with the poem on it and a border. Doug your ideas are wonderful!!!

caryl Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 10:57pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

and I have read the poem too would NOT use it in any way as...

it is aimed at the living to warn them, to goad them, to prod them into reevaluating their lives

it does not remember the deceased or in any way celebrate his life.

I have to disagree. I think at the time of a funeral we all do a lot of reflecting on our lives as well as on that of the one who passed. It's not being used as the eulogy. But it is meant to inspire one to reflect on their own life.
Or Doug and auntginn came up with some other nice quotes- words of rememberence that would work well. I just think the open book with the edible image would be representative of a bible- which is certainly appropriate, and then I would keep the rest of the design modest.
Whatever you decide to do- it is a kind gesture and I'm sure will be appreciated.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 11:00pm
post #14 of 18

Perhaps the book pan made to look like a Bible with a spray of red roses on one side and a verse on the other side, maybe the Pastors life verse
I'm really sorry you and the congregation are going through this, I'm sure it is a difficult time.
Please accept my condolences
Jibbies

tiggy2 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:23pm
post #15 of 18

I found out last night at the prayer service that all the food is to be there at noon for a 4:00 service. So it's my understanding that everything will be cut up and ready to serve after the funeral on Sunday. Since no one will even see it I guess I should just stick with a plain cake with maybe some flowers on it.

Doug Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:09pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I found out last night at the prayer service that all the food is to be there at noon for a 4:00 service. So it's my understanding that everything will be cut up and ready to serve after the funeral on Sunday. Since no one will even see it I guess I should just stick with a plain cake with maybe some flowers on it.

that or a sheet cake that has been marked off for cutting and in each square a little cross (variant of how carrot cake sheet cakes are done)

tiggy2 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 8:58pm
post #17 of 18

That's a great idea Doug! How would you go about making the little crosses?

Doug Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 10:58pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

That's a great idea Doug! How would you go about making the little crosses?

i'd just pipe them one w/ a small round tip and then add 3 dots at each end of each arm in a triangle formation.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%