Can I Bake More Then 1 Cake In My Oven At A Time?

Decorating By mrstoponak Updated 3 Oct 2007 , 8:49pm by Rooh

mrstoponak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrstoponak Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 13

I have ever tried to bake more then one cake at a time. I was always afraid that they would bake uneven if there was more then one cake in the ove. But all the cake mixs say to bake right after you mix it.

Do you guys bake more then one cake at a time??

12 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 13

Baking multiple pies or cakes at once:

http://www.ochef.com/859.htm

How to Bake a Cake:
(Has multiple cake baking info.)

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/how-to-bake-a-cake.htm/printable

I can bake two small cakes at once, but with the larger pans I only do one at a time (on the middle rack).

HTH

DecoratorJen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratorJen Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 1:52am
post #3 of 13

My oven has convection. I use it when baking all my cakes. I can put several in there and they all get done faster and with more even/level baking than a regular oven even though the temp is 25 degrees cooler!

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:25am
post #4 of 13

I have a regular old home oven from the 1970"s. I use both oven racks (one right above the middle and one right below the middle) and bake as many cake as I can fit in. Like a 6, 8 and 10 on each rack and just switch them about half way through. (Put the smaller ones in the front they bake quicker). and have never had a problem.

I do 4 cookie sheets at the same time, 6 pies .....

Val

moptop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moptop Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:35am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrmcc1

I have a regular old home oven from the 1970"s. I use both oven racks (one right above the middle and one right below the middle) and bake as many cake as I can fit in. Like a 6, 8 and 10 on each rack and just switch them about half way through. (Put the smaller ones in the front they bake quicker). and have never had a problem.

I do 4 cookie sheets at the same time, 6 pies .....

Val

wow - don't your cakes fall if you do that (open the door and move around i the middle?) Seems like mine always fall if I take a peek to see progress.... as in, I open the door a hair, take a look, gently close the door and then BOOM - cake deflates. I've gotten to the point now where I don't look until I'm sure it's done. (ok, even then they sink anyways.... I admit). Not sure what I do wrong....

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:44am
post #6 of 13

the only timeI ever have had a problem is a the door to my oven is tricky if you shut it wrong it bangs them the cakes may fall but I have learned to be careful.

Val

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 3:47am
post #7 of 13

Yes, you do need to use the batter right soon it's mixed. Do you mean to say you bake each pan, same batch of batter, seperately? I don't cram my oven full but I do bake several pans at once if I can, to use the batter. I just stagger them on the shelves for optimum air flow. I have convection but haven't been using it because it makes me nervous about it drying my cakes. Guess I need to give that another shot since so many use it and love it.

messyeater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messyeater Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 8:02am
post #8 of 13

I only tried once and it was a disaster. The cakes were really crumbly and impossible to cover. I guess though it must depend on your oven since it works for others. Why not try it with a practice cake and see how it works for you.

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 8:52am
post #9 of 13

I always bake more than one cake at a time. I do only make cakes 2-3 inches thick and sandwhich them together though. But i put in as many as i can fit and i to swap them half way through.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:47am
post #10 of 13

I have both regular and convection ovens. In the convection I cram in as many as will fit. In the regular, I only use one rack, but put as many n that one rack as possible. I've found that in a regular oven the cakes on the bottom get a little too done and the cakes on the top stay underbaked. The answer is to reverse them during baking, and that works fine when I remember to do it. On baking day I may be baking 20-30 pans, so I don't always remember to set the timer and do the pan shuffle.

And I hold batter all the time. No bakery could survive if they couldn't hold batter. I often make it up the night before and bake the next day. I nearly always have leftover batter in the fridge. No problem with that.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 12:36pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

And I hold batter all the time. No bakery could survive if they couldn't hold batter. I often make it up the night before and bake the next day. I nearly always have leftover batter in the fridge. No problem with that.

Leah, I'm glad to hear that from you because there are times I wish I could hold it for later. I just always thought the batter would lose it's oomph if not used right away. Thanks!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 12:50pm
post #12 of 13

I do bake only from scratch.

But . . .the bakery I worked at only used mixes, and we did hold ginormous tubs of batter and it was fine. A 50 pound bag of cake mix makes a lot . . .

Rooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rooh Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 8:49pm
post #13 of 13

I have a regular oven that I bake my cakes in. I put as many pans in as will fit and have never had a problem with the cakes falling or being dry. I don't really even switch them around either. I bake at 325 and set a timer for the smallest cake. When the timer gets around the 5-7 min to go mark, I will use my super secret cake testing tool (the toothpick icon_biggrin.gif ) to see where the cake is at. Then adjust the time +/- accordingly. I also check the status of the other cakes too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%