Constructive Critism Please

Decorating By misterc Updated 21 Dec 2006 , 10:22pm by misterc

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 4:40am
post #1 of 33

I'm tring to build up my portfolio. This was my first practice cake made with dummies. I would love any suggestions or tips so each time I make a practice cake thay get better. Thanks!
LL

32 replies
nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 4:45am
post #2 of 33

Where is the cake? icon_surprised.gif

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 4:49am
post #3 of 33

Beautiful cake.. Lovely presentation.. You did an excellent job.

Liz

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 4:54am
post #4 of 33

I see it now. . .

But you made it very difficult for me to find any area to critique! icon_mad.gif

The only thing would be to wrap the ribbon around the middle tier tighter. And to not keep it so close to the one before it, or else it looks smushed.

That's all I could really "pick on" since you made it impossible to find any legitimate reason to give "constructive criticism".

P.S. Was "constructive criticism" a pun?

ang_ty95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang_ty95 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 4:54am
post #5 of 33

Your cake is gorgeous and I wouldn't change a thing! icon_smile.gif

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 4:58am
post #6 of 33

Your cake is beautiful. I love the colors and the presentation. Good job!

misterc Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 5:03am
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

I see it now. . .

But you made it very difficult for me to find any area to critique! icon_mad.gif

The only thing would be to wrap the ribbon around the middle tier tighter. And to not keep it so close to the one before it, or else it looks smushed.

That's all I could really "pick on" since you made it impossible to find any legitimate reason to give "constructive criticism".

P.S. Was "constructive criticism" a pun?

No, it wasn't a pun. I think the dummies have a sharper edge and it makes the cake look like they were made with dummies instead of being real. Is there a way to fix that? Thanks!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 5:06am
post #8 of 33

Gorgeous and I love the stand. You did an excellent job on this cake. You can hold a styrofoam cake dummy in both hands, have the upper edge touching the countertop or table and roll it all the way around on the edge with just a bit of pressure to soften it or give it a more rounded look if you aren't happy with the sharp edge.

misterc Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 5:07am
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

Gorgeous and I love the stand. You did an excellent job on this cake.

Coming from you that means so much. Thank you!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 5:10am
post #10 of 33

Your welcome, you deserved it.

rayven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rayven Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 5:14am
post #11 of 33

I think your cake and the presentation is wonderful!! I also love the colors. I like all your other cakes also! Great job!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 5:27am
post #12 of 33

I think your cake is beautiful. I wouldn't change anything. But the idea about softening the edhe was a good one. With a real cake I trim the edge with scissors to soften it if needed. Though I do admire those who can get a nice clean sharp edge on an iced cake. Great job here!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 7:19am
post #13 of 33

I think you did a great job on your dummies. Nice color.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 7:36am
post #14 of 33

You did a wonderful job! The presentation is very nice too!!!

Cindy

erimsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erimsy Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 11:12am
post #15 of 33

this is absolutely gorgeous, nothing left to be done to it.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 11:57am
post #16 of 33

The cake looks lovely. I just have one question, I have never used a stand like that, when you make this with a real cake, what kind of supports do you need to use, or is there something special to hold that stand and stop it from smooshing the cake underneath?
Does the stand have *feet* that go into the cake like the push in pillars??

cheers
Nati

bonniesido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniesido Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 12:10pm
post #17 of 33

Your cake looks great as it is!

amycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amycake Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 12:23pm
post #18 of 33

That cake is gorgeous. I too don't think you need to change a thing it looks good. To bad we can't eat it...LOL

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 12:27pm
post #19 of 33

What a beautiful display!!!...everything.....the flowers, the lights etc, etc, wonderful!!!

Denise

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 2:14pm
post #20 of 33

It looks stunning, give yourself a pat on the back. Very clean and elegant looking!

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 2:19pm
post #21 of 33

I think you did a great job. Your customers will love seeing this in your portfolio

misterc Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 2:27pm
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonenati

The cake looks lovely. I just have one question, I have never used a stand like that, when you make this with a real cake, what kind of supports do you need to use, or is there something special to hold that stand and stop it from smooshing the cake underneath?
Does the stand have *feet* that go into the cake like the push in pillars??

cheers
Nati

I have used before on a real cake. A clear seperater plate goes under it and then you dowel it as normal. The one draw back is that the plate is ugly so you have to cover it with flowers or something. Thanks for looking and thanks for the compliments!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 3:27pm
post #23 of 33

Absolutely elegant!!!

Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 3:32pm
post #24 of 33

Beautiful presentation

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 3:43pm
post #25 of 33

Your cake is really pretty! icon_biggrin.gif My only advise would be don't show people something you can't do. What I mean by that is, if you can't get a super sharp crisp edge with buttercream then you need to soften your dummy edges. (If you can then you are my hero! LOL) If a client sees your dummy and orders that cake for their wedding they might not be happy with the more rounded look of a real cake. This goes for any type of decoration. There are lots of thing I can do much better on a dummy. Just make sure that you can replicate it with real cake if a customer wants it!
Your presentation is great! Best of luck!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 3:45pm
post #26 of 33

Well if it were me....I would back light the cake to set off the photo. You kind of lose the cake topper.

As a 8 x 10 photo it would be absolutely stunning.....but then don't listen to me, cuz on all my cake pictures they are down and dirty cuz I am too tired from creating the piece to take my time with the photo. icon_biggrin.gif

misterc Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 3:56pm
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

Your cake is really pretty! icon_biggrin.gif My only advise would be don't show people something you can't do. What I mean by that is, if you can't get a super sharp crisp edge with buttercream then you need to soften your dummy edges. (If you can then you are my hero! LOL) If a client sees your dummy and orders that cake for their wedding they might not be happy with the more rounded look of a real cake. This goes for any type of decoration. There are lots of thing I can do much better on a dummy. Just make sure that you can replicate it with real cake if a customer wants it!
Your presentation is great! Best of luck!

It is fondant and I actually asked how to soften the edges of the dummy so it looks more natural but so far nobody has given advice on how to do so. Thanks!

misterc Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 3:59pm
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

Well if it were me....I would back light the cake to set off the photo. You kind of lose the cake topper.

As a 8 x 10 photo it would be absolutely stunning.....but then don't listen to me, cuz on all my cake pictures they are down and dirty cuz I am too tired from creating the piece to take my time with the photo. icon_biggrin.gif

I felt the same way while taking the picture. I couldn't find any light that would work for a back light. icon_sad.gif . Oh well. Thanks for the comments!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 4:33pm
post #29 of 33

Ok.. should have read better... to soften the edges you can just sort of roll it on you counter until you get a little less of a sharp edge. Other people use a nail file but I haven't tried that yet. You also can just use your fingers and smoosh it (if that makes sense) HTH

misterc Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 5:01pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

Ok.. should have read better... to soften the edges you can just sort of roll it on you counter until you get a little less of a sharp edge. Other people use a nail file but I haven't tried that yet. You also can just use your fingers and smoosh it (if that makes sense) HTH

Thank you so much! I will try that on my next one!!!!!! It was the main thing I didn't like about my cake and you are the only one with an answer. Thanks!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%