Cracked Cake Help!

Decorating By Susecita Updated 5 Dec 2006 , 5:22am by nglez09

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 4:39am
post #1 of 4

I baked two beautiful cakes but they seem so so moist right out of the over. Wet, even though with the toothpick test in various places it comes out clean clean. Anyways, I digress. One of the cakes has a crack (more like a little crater) on one side. I do not have the time nor the ingredients to make another cake and I wonder what your suggestions are? Can I fix the cake? The cake needs to be covered with fondant so I dunno how to build it so the crack don't sho. SHould it go on top, bottom? Should I build the cake frozen? Will the crack just destroy the cake? I filled the hole w. icing and they are now in the freezer for moistness (as if these cakes need more of it.) Ugh. BTW I made the Ultimate Butter Cake by Sarah Phillips. This is what I get for trying a new recipe the day before I have an order due.

3 replies
nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 4:46am
post #2 of 4

Is it on the hump? Then just slice off the top.

If it's not, fill the crack with icing and freeze it. Then ice and decorate as usual. HTH.

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 5:07am
post #3 of 4

It is on the hump but this cake actually doesnt come out with one. It comes out rather smooth. Its a bit deep past the bump. I did fill it in and froze it. You think it will not succumb to fondant? Should I put it on top or bottom? Decorate frozen or once it thaws? Thanks so so much!

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 5:22am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susecita

It is on the hump but this cake actually doesnt come out with one. It comes out rather smooth. Its a bit deep past the bump. I did fill it in and froze it. You think it will not succumb to fondant? Should I put it on top or bottom? Decorate frozen or once it thaws? Thanks so so much!

I think you'll be fine. Just make sure that your fondant is nice and tight to avoid any "sinking". Spread icing over the cake generously. I'd do a crumb coat after the filling of the crack and then freeze it again and THEN ice it.

I'm sure all will go well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%