Anyone From Maryland Who Can Answer A ?

Business By luv2bak4myboys Updated 5 Oct 2007 , 1:34am by afh0212

luv2bak4myboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bak4myboys Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 6

I would love to get licensed to sell cakes and cookies. Where do I start? I'm not having much luck looking online, but may just be looking in the wrong place.

So far I've just done cakes for the price of materials, plus individuals sometimes add 5 or 10 dollars to the top of that for me. After cruising around this site, I think I may be getting ready to take my dream to the next level. Any help you Marylanders could offer would be great!

5 replies
SweetSandee92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSandee92 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 6

Hi... a fellow Marylander here... icon_biggrin.gif !! I've been looking into this for a while now and have come up with probably the same info as you. So, finially(as of today!), I gave a call to the Maryland Health Dept. Food Protection Program.. and here's what I was told in a nutshell:

They (1)DO NOT issue licenses of any kind UNLESS you are in a licensed commercial facility...(2) unless buy a facility is already licensed and in which case they will issue a license in your name to operate at that facility only..or (3) you start your own business from "scratch". They used to allow you to operate in catering halls or church kitchens but EPA said it's wasn't safe, so now they've stop that too.

However, on the brightside, thumbs_up.gif I was told they understand some cake decorators usually start baking & decorating "in home" and they don't inspect or "bother" them UNLESS they (1) get complaints, or (2) see huge ads..(yellow pages, internet or fliers) saying you have a business. They understand that advertisment for us is by word of mouth, but as long as it doesn't violate any of the above were good.

So, basically, in Maryland, you either have to work at a licensed commercial facility or own one yourself in order to legally sale in the state...which truthfully sucks!! icon_cry.gif

I hope this helps in some way.. if you'd like you can PM me to contiune.

BTW... where in MD are you located.. I'm PG County.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:32am
post #3 of 6

It varies by County, so you'll need to contact your local departmetn of agriculture/Health department.

I'm in Montgomery county, and there, you can have a home business, BUT you have to have a licencse and they DO check.

There was a thread about this a while back... I'll see if I can find it, but you may also want to do a search...

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:13am
post #4 of 6

You may find this link helpful;
http://www.cakecentral.com/article57-US-Wanting-to-start-a-Cake-Decorating-Business-but-where-do-I-begin.html

Scroll down til you see MD and then click on "Secretary of State"

(Born and raised in MD and transplanted to VA!)

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:22am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the info guys - I too have tried to find any useful info for us Marylanders but with no luck - thank you to those who have!!!

afh0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afh0212 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:34am
post #6 of 6

Glad to hear about leaving alone us in-home'rs....but I still would like to have my own business outside of my home. Just have to keep saving!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%