Holiday Baking Orders?

Business By tarheel Updated 5 Oct 2007 , 8:13pm by bmullard

tarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheel Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone have experience taking special holiday (halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas) baking orders? I'm considering items like, red velvet cake, german chocolate, cupcakes and chocolate poundcake?

How do you set it up? Do you require a deposit at time of order or do you trust everyone to pay for items on delivery? Do you have a minimum/maximum order?

Other suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

10 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 11

It doesn't matter when the order is placed or what it is for but I require a MINIMUM of 50% of order due at time of order and the remainder at time of delivery. I have never had anyone not pay 100% at time of order, but at least the 50% covers my ingredients and part of my time. If I go to delivery and they don't have the money then I take the item with me. They dont' get to walk out of wal-mart with their pie and say I will pay you next week.

If they are special items that you will only sell at the holidays then I would make sure it is known when the orders have to be in and there is a limited number available so they should call or place their order right away.

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 11

Leily gave you some great suggestions.

I am putting out my preorder forms now for Halloween and Nov 1 for Thanksgiving and Black Friday for Christmas. All with deadline dates and deposit info. It seems to work out really well.

Oh, and I send out a reminder via email when it gets close just to remind them and to try to upsell the order with any last minute stuff they might need.

icon_smile.gif Good luck!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMommytoDanny

Leily gave you some great suggestions.

I am putting out my preorder forms now for Halloween and Nov 1 for Thanksgiving and Black Friday for Christmas. All with deadline dates and deposit info. It seems to work out really well.

Oh, and I send out a reminder via email when it gets close just to remind them and to try to upsell the order with any last minute stuff they might need.

icon_smile.gif Good luck!

icon_eek.gif Black Friday???

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 11

Black Friday is the Friday after Thanksgiving, when lots of stores have very good sales to get the Christmas shopping season started. That's the one day that I make sure that I do NOT go shopping! It's normally a mad house everywhere you go!

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 11

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving! Biggest shopping day of the year!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 11

What types of things are you all including on the flyers? Particularly for Halloween and Thanksgiving?

I am thinking of doing the same thing. I mostly do decorated cakes and cookies but thinking of offering other novelty type items for certain holidays. Like the limited time offer that was mentioned. Thanks for any help, this is my first year to do this! icon_smile.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 11

I require a two weeks notice for cookie trays for Christmas just because they consist of 15 different types of cookies. The pumpkin or apple pies I usually just ask them to give me a day or two in advance since most of the time I have those ingredients available, except maybe the apples.
But Ive never asked for a deposit on those type of items because I figure if I show up and they dont pay I walk away with it and I could always throw it in the freezer for my family! But never had a problem with someone not paying me for them.
But things like Wedding cakes, you always get a deposit for something like that. So unless your doing a big ticket item, I wouldnt worry about it unless you really dont know the people or trust them.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 11

The day after Thanksgiving, huh? Well since I never shop on that day, for just that reason, I guess I was out of the loop on that one! icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks for clearing that up! icon_lol.gif

pieceofcake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake1 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 11

Anyone have any samples of your preorder forms??

bmullard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmullard Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 11

If anyone has a copy of pre order forms I would love a copy as well. Also, does anyone send out a letter to remind people about ordering holiday cakes and cookies?

Thanks,
Brenda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%