Cute Christmas Idea For 1St Graders?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 10 Dec 2006 , 11:17am by socake

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 2:32am
post #1 of 33

Trying to think of a cool idea to send to send with my first grade boy to school in a few weeks when they have their Christmas party. Last year I made a 3D tree but those are a pain to cut and serve.

I'm looking for something that is not HUGE or overly rich because my son has to eat it too! haha. However I want something really unique to make my son proud of his mommy (which he already is but you know...haha). I'm thinking about making individual treats this year so.... any ideas?

I thought about using the mini wonder molds as individual trees but that ends up being FAR too much icing for kids... so any ideas for something without so much icing? I'm open to anything...cupcakes, cookies, candy treats...whatever. If all else fails I guess I can make the decorated cookies, I am doing that anyway for some other gifts. But technically you can buy those at the store, so....

Thanks!

32 replies
sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 3:07am
post #2 of 33

I was thinking about cookies since the kids are young. How about 3D cookies? Williams-Sonoma has 3D snowman, 3D tree, and 3D reindeer & sleigh cookie cutters. In their location in NYC (Chelsea) my sister says they're having a big sale. I don't think that their catalog cutters are not on sale though.

Happy Holidays to you!! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 3:13am
post #3 of 33

I did these Christmas Mice last year, and they were a HUGE hit. Very easy to do - white chocolate covered oreo's (or you can use regualar ones) Hershey's kisses, maraschino cherries and almond slivers.

Kitagrl Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 3:18am
post #4 of 33

3D cookies sound fun....and oooh those mice are really cute! Wow..... hmmm....

aboelkens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aboelkens Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 3:27am
post #5 of 33

I love the mice!!!!!!! I will have to do that.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 3:32am
post #6 of 33

Last year I did a project with my daughter's kindergarten class. Sooo easy and cute (no pics though sorry). It was little bears that I made out of cheapo canned biscuits (the plain store brand). You use half for the body 1/4 for the head and pieces for the ears, feet, and hands. Roll each of the pieces in cinnamon sugar then put them together on a cookie sheet. Pinch a little so they'll stick. Bake em and decorate them kinda like gingerbread men. We used red hots licorice, icing....all kinds of cute things. And the kids tore them up!

Uberhipster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uberhipster Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 3:37am
post #7 of 33

If you do go with cookies, here's an idea: cut out some of the middle, and fill it with chocolate after it's baked. Kinda like the stained glass effect, but with chocolate instead of candy (and you can't see through it icon_razz.gif ). I saw a picture of a bell cookie with a little bell shape cut out of the middle, and filled with chocolate. It's a nice detail with a lot of potential. I'm definitely gonna try and put a spin on this one! icon_wink.gif

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 3:43am
post #8 of 33

last year I made rice crispy snowman treats. Just make a batch of rice crispie treats in a rec. pan. Slice into small rectangles and stick popsickle stick into bottom. Then I melted vanilla almond bark and dipped them. Then I drew on a face ( black eyes and smile, orange carrot nose) with frosting. Really turned out cute, I think I will do them again this year.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 3:54am
post #9 of 33

Today I saw a post about MM Snowmen on a stick, they were very very cute, I wish I could find you the link but since the search is down I don't know how to do it any other way. But they were 3 marshamallows on a stick with the hands and face piped with royal. I think they where also dipped in candy melts. HTH! I'll post the link if I find it! Good luck!

nefgaby Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 3:57am
post #10 of 33

They looked kind of like this one here....

http://static.flickr.com/9/75238876_2ecfc18610_m.jpg

MaryAtk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAtk Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 3:59am
post #11 of 33

How about a cupcake cake? Everyone always thinks those things are so cool! I just made one using the mini baking cups - it was for 50 kindergarteners. It was a big hit! icon_smile.gif

nefgaby Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 4:15am
post #12 of 33
Kitagrl Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 12:42pm
post #13 of 33

I love the snowmen, maybe I'll go with that....

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 1:20am
post #14 of 33

Go under galleries and see the Santa Cocoa Cones. Too cute!

Lu

Kitagrl Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 1:22am
post #15 of 33

I found out today that the teacher just sent home requests for what the parents are to bring and she wrote down "cupcakes" for me...

What do you think, a tiny snowman scene on each cupcake? Maybe make a little tree on a pretzel stick..."snow" including the Wilton edible glitter, and a little snowman??? Or maybe just a pretzel stick tree on each one, decorated and iced to look snowy?

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 1:37am
post #16 of 33

How about Christmas Tree ice cream cone cake? Here's the simple instruction:

1. Get regular kids' ice cream cone (it'll be a tree bark)
2. Place it upright on muffin pan.
3. Pour cake batter (in the cone) half way to the top.
4. Bake it in oven per cake mix's direction.
5. Let it cool.
6. Use star cake decorating tip #28, #35, or similar for green icing, like I did in that pic below.
7. Use any kinds of sprinkles for tree's ornament and any other stuff you want to put it on, like bubble gum and shape it like a star for top of tree.

Kids loved it last year.
LL

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 1:51am
post #17 of 33

Last year I did reindeer cupcakes for my daughter's class. I just made chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting & bought pretzels, M&M's, and gumdrops for the decorations. You break a pretzel in half, and the kids stick two halves on the top for antlers, then use the M&M's for eyes and mouth, and a gumdrop (red, of course!) for the nose. It was easy for me because there wasn't any decorating on my part, and the kids loved to do their own.

-Lisa

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 3:38am
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcrew

I did these Christmas Mice last year, and they were a HUGE hit. Very easy to do - white chocolate covered oreo's (or you can use regualar ones) Hershey's kisses, maraschino cherries and almond slivers.

These are soooo cute!!! I love them,.. However, do you have any suggestions for options for ears. I have a daughter that is highly allergic to ALL nuts. Thanks?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 3:40am
post #19 of 33

re ears...

cut snips from large marshmallows?

little pieces of fondant?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 3:47am
post #20 of 33

Or take a mini marshmellow (for the mouse ears) and "smash" it between your fingers to flatten it out about ear size. I think that would work and be super easy too.

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 3:51am
post #21 of 33

What about those butter cookies or mini oreos for the ears of the mice that would be cute too. I love the cupcake cones - My daughter's class may get those. Great ideas

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 6:12am
post #22 of 33

If we do it we have to go to Smart and final and buy packaging to look store bought.... uggh.

Jopalis Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 6:14am
post #23 of 33

I was thinking of rice crispy treats molded for snowmen and iced and little stuff for buttons, nose, etc. Wilton teacher suggested a hat made of a marshmallow painted with black icing thinned with vodka. I wouldn't worry about it specifically being a cupcake. What about a cupcake igloo and some sort of penguin.... (not sure how to make) ...Happy Feet is real big with the kids now....

Jopalis Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 6:17am
post #24 of 33

Actually teacher said the black marshmallow hats not that cool to eat so would probably be too messy... also the vodka thing....LOL! Perhaps a different way to tint the marshmallow hat...

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 6:39am
post #25 of 33

I would go for the cupcake cake and do a fantastic winter scene on it

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 6:56am
post #26 of 33

how about cupcakes with light blue icing, a white snowflake piped in buttercream or maybe fondant "snowballs " dusted with edible glitter? simpler than a whole christmas scene. that would take alot of time, and although the kids would love it, they devour them too fast to notice how much time you put into them.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 4:35pm
post #27 of 33

I like the snowmen cupcakes ad on top of cc page. Could use a white chocolate dipped marshmallow on its side for rounded look, sock hat made out of candy clay, if you were afraid the marshmallow would fall off of frosted cupcakes, you could use a pretzel to impale the marshmallow and stick into the cupcake.

Kitagrl Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:09am
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellie0h

I like the snowmen cupcakes ad on top of cc page. Could use a white chocolate dipped marshmallow on its side for rounded look, sock hat made out of candy clay, if you were afraid the marshmallow would fall off of frosted cupcakes, you could use a pretzel to impale the marshmallow and stick into the cupcake.

What page?

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 3:34am
post #29 of 33

the holiday cake decor ad. here on cc.
LL

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 10:15am
post #30 of 33

Yesterday we had an early Christmas Party at my daughter's school. I made three Cupcake cakes...Santa, a Christmas tree and a wreath with snowflakes.
The kids loved them, and it was convenient to serve.
If you would like to see them, they're in my photos.
Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%