Gumpaste

Decorating By daltonam Updated 3 Dec 2006 , 7:41pm by daltonam

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 1:01am
post #1 of 9

so where would a newbie start--i need some direction please--i've done a little fondant work, but i would love for my flowers to look more realist---

i recently posted about doing my first wedding cake & it being with poinsettias & holly--

also if i don't have cutter, what does everyone suggest?--i need to start practicing now icon_lol.gif

8 replies
JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 1:14am
post #2 of 9

ShirleyW told me to get the book by Nick Lodge..Potpourri of Flowers (or similar name) but for sure the author is correct.
I started with buying the gumpaste so I knew what it should feel like and look like. Used Wilton's prepared gumpaste in the small foil pouch.

daltonam Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 1:48am
post #3 of 9

thanks for the book info--at least i have something to look for now icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 1:58am
post #4 of 9

You might consider the Nick Lodge DVDs. They are relatively inexpensive, and from what I hear, very thorough.

And if you do not have cutters, you can make templates out of card stock (available at an office supply store) or manila folders. This works best for flowers with flat petals (roses, daisies, poinsettias) as opposed to lotus, and other more curved petals. Find a picture and draw a pic of the petal on the card stock, cut out, and cut around it on the gumpaste with a pizza cutter or paste cutter.

Many years ago, all flowers were made without use of cutters. I would love to learn those techniques, to help preserve them for the future.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

daltonam Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 5:04am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmriga

You might consider the Nick Lodge DVDs. They are relatively inexpensive, and from what I hear, very thorough.

And if you do not have cutters, you can make templates out of card stock (available at an office supply store) or manila folders. This works best for flowers with flat petals (roses, daisies, poinsettias) as opposed to lotus, and other more curved petals. Find a picture and draw a pic of the petal on the card stock, cut out, and cut around it on the gumpaste with a pizza cutter or paste cutter.

Many years ago, all flowers were made without use of cutters. I would love to learn those techniques, to help preserve them for the future.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

thank you for this info--i really believe that a dvd would work too--& the template idea-well duh me icon_redface.gif -thanks again

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 9

Nic's little book A Potpourri of flowers does have some templates in the back of the book. If you find you really enjoy making the flowers you will want to invest in some good equipment later on, such as metal petal cutters, silicone veiners, etc.

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 9

Daltonam, a dvd would be a good idea, also invest in some cutters and then get some nice pictures of a rose, freesia, lily, poinsettia or what ever you want to try and give it a go. Once you have the basic petal cut try and follow how they look in the picture. Also books on sugar flowers I found to be a great help.
I've just completed a poinsettia, holly & ivy (in my photos) and I'm really pleased how they turned out.
With practice all your flowers will get better and better

cheers
Jan

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 7:27pm
post #8 of 9

Very nice work Jan.

Here is a link to a list of gumpaste supplies or tools that I posted today.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-54056.html

daltonam Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 7:41pm
post #9 of 9

thanks everyone, i know that if i get brave enough to try gumpaste, i'll be streaming for much much much more help icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%