Anyone Bake With Organic Eggs Before?

Decorating By Jessicafulbright Updated 30 Sep 2007 , 4:54pm by Jessicafulbright

Jessicafulbright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessicafulbright Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 5

I was just wondering if there is a diffrence between regular ole eggs, and the organic cage free kind. Thanks!

4 replies
Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 5

well
i keep chickens just for the eggs
I think more important than organic is the freshness

however if were going between store bought - the store bought organics usually have a more orange yolk and denser white, which makes it mount faster from beating

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 5

I only use organic/cage free eggs anymore. They cost more, but there is far less impact on the environment and hens by the additives/hormones that get pumped into them (and thus into us and the groundwater). The hens are treated better by getting to move around and not just be in overcrowded houses w/poo (and associated illnesses/bacterium) and such from the hens around them. Respect the earth and she will respect back. I like to tell the folks I make my cakes for that they are eating a cake that is more gentle on the earth and their own systems.
I also use organic milk and organic shortening, too. As I find more organically grown ingredients, I will incorporate them, too. icon_smile.gif
Peace,
Wendl

TractorDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TractorDiva Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 5

I raise cage-free, as-organic-as-you-can-get eggs. Here's what I can tell you: The fresher the egg, the tougher the protein structure. I premix my freshest eggs (as in, I just pulled them out from under a hen fresh) to break up the whites a little. Sometimes my yolk structure is firmer, too. However, If they are a couple days old, then I don't bother. Because my girls free range and get supplement grains only (no processed meat laced feed), the yolks are more vividly colored -- almost orange in color. My yellow cakes get a richer color than with store bought eggs. If I have to make meringue -- I only use the eggs laid that day. Remember the protein structure? Makes fabulous meringue. The bridezilla wedding cake in my pics is iced in IMBC...and it stood up beautifully to being transported as well as a reception delay of over an hour.
Other than the color and if possible, the freshness, I have not seen any other difference.

Jessicafulbright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessicafulbright Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your help! My FIL raises chickens so I get tons of "cage free eggs" but I recently bought the organic for the same enviro, health reasons, and noticed a big diffrence just in the apperance. Thanks girls!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%