Tres Leches!!!!

Baking By loves2bake Updated 2 Dec 2006 , 5:15pm by loves2bake

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 8

Hi! This is the first time I've made this recipe and I need Your help!!!!
Ths cake came out fine (and delicious) but I poured the milks on the cake, it looks like too much! How can you tell if you have too much and can I pour it out? Help! Please! My customer wants this today!!

Thank you in advance!!

7 replies
cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 8

From what I have seen posted, I don't think there can really be too much milk!! I had a disaster when I tried it because my cake didn't turn out well. May I ask what recipe you are using?

loves2bake Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 8

The recipe on this site. I used a disposable aluminum pan and reduced heat to 325 and just watched it carefully. The cake turned out great! But it appears to be floating in the milks.. Is this normal?

Marissaisabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marissaisabel Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 8

I usually use a fork to pierce the entire cake then pour the milks. There is really no exact measurement since some people like it wet, some semi wet, and some really wet. I just pour the milk use my really clean hands and I apply a little presure to see how saturated the cake is with milk. If a lot of milk appears after applying the presure I'm usually ok. Once you see milk leaking out it might be possible you have too much. But, like I said some people like it really wet. So it depends on what your clients want. Sorry, if this is not helpful. Just ask your client how wet they want it that way you have an idea. If it helps I usually use about 8cups of the milks to soak a 11x15 double layer cake. It come out soaked just right not to wet and not too dry. This is the way one of clients likes it and I have gotten seveal orders from this client and their freinds and family. LOL icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 8

Tres Leche is like a jello poke cake, but instead of liquid jello (after you poke it with a skewer or dowel, or whatever) you add the 3 milks until absorbed.

However, I employed the poke and pour method....
which took until the next day for all the milk to be absorbed.

One of the recipes on this site said that a few hours for soaking is good, but overight is better...

HTH

Marissaisabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marissaisabel Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 8

I just read your second post and it does sound like you do have too much milks. Try to pour some of out and reserve it, in case your cake is not done soaking up the milks and you need to add more milks. Did you pierce the cake on both sides?

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 8

Another tip that I have learned when doing tres leches cakes is you pipe a dam of frosting around the top perimeter of the cake. That way if the milks pool on the top it gives it time to soak in. Also another decorator friend of mine she tortes the cake, soaks it with half of the mixture she will use (usually bout 12 ozs. for a quarter sheet cake). and then puts some frosting or filling in the middle puts the top back on pipes a dam on the top and pours the rest of the milk on the cake and lets it soak in

She says that she does it this way to keep the milk from all settling at the bottom of the cake.

loves2bake Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 8

TY for the info! I will press the cake don to see if it will absorbe more milk. I wish I knew that it can soak overnight, I hope it will be good for the party this afternoon.. Thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%