Once Cake Settles It's Uneven Help

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 30 Sep 2007 , 9:36pm by Iloveweddings

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:01am
post #1 of 9

Hi. I bake the cake. Let it cool. I then fill and crumb coat. It's level. It sits overnight and settles after that time it is no longer level. What do you do to level it at that point??

Thanks.

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:33am
post #2 of 9

If you're not leveling your cakes before crumb coating and filling - your sequence is out of order.

Link to Wilton's Making a Wedding Cake:

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/makecake/index.cfm

If you follow the steps in order, your cakes will be level when you assemble the tiers. icon_smile.gif

HTH

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 5:38am
post #3 of 9

If nothing else (and you are leveling it to begin with and then it goes wonky on you later) you can trim it more.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 5:51am
post #4 of 9

I've had that happen to me before. I will bake the cakes, let them sit over night then I tort and fill them. I then let it set again for several hours or over night before I decorate it. If after it settles it isn't level then I level the top again.

I have one of those Agaby levelers so it works wonders! I just can't say enough good about it.

But my real advice is to let it set awhile before you fill and stack it then let it set again.

Iloveweddings Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 7:42am
post #5 of 9

I do level before I fill and crumb coat. My wilton leveler is not tall enough to level a 4" cake.

What brand of leveler would be tall enough?

pechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pechee Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 9

my problem is that I usually do not have stiff enough icing inbetween the cakes. If I remember to make it extra stiff, and do a damn around the edge of the cake first(so it wont bulge after settling), then the cake usually stays level. HTH.

Iloveweddings Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pechee

my problem is that I usually do not have stiff enough icing inbetween the cakes. If I remember to make it extra stiff, and do a damn around the edge of the cake first(so it wont bulge after settling), then the cake usually stays level. HTH.

I will try it. Thanks.

froufroucakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froufroucakes Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 9

Just curious.... when you bake and let it sit overnight... do you cover it with something or leave it open? I have problems with my cakes getting stale before they're completely cold.

Iloveweddings Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 9

I do not cover usually except maybe with a paper towel. I have found the crumb coat to seal it. I live in a very dry climate. That probably makes a difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%