Anyone From Michigan Licensed For Home Business????

Business By runmamarun Updated 3 Oct 2007 , 12:33am by maisyone2

runmamarun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
runmamarun Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 3:59am
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if anyone from michigan is licensed from there home for there cake business, i was reading on the web, but it's a little confusing.
And i would just liked to know what to expect!!!!!
I would really liked to be legal. I would just liked to do it the right way.

I just need to know all the legal stuff and how much it cost to get started!!!

Any info would be great!!!!!!

6 replies
cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:37am
post #2 of 7

Pretty sure you can't get licensed for home bakery in Michigan. Have to have commercial facility.

ghghgh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ghghgh Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 7

I actually live in Michigan and I to was confused about the guidelinines on the Web. I placed a call to the department of Ag. They stated that your township, city must allowing you the proper zoning. You then have to have a seperate enterence to your kitchen and an entire seperate kitchen from what you would use for your family. You will not be completely required to have commercial equipment, all she would tell me is that it has to be adiquete for your buissness. A 3 compartment sink is required with several hand washing sinks and a mop area. Your kitchen will then have to be inspected and I think you have to be serve safe certified, which I already am. That is all I know, she was suppose to call me back and has not done so yet so I will be following up with her.

If any one else knows anything I would be happy to hear.
Thanks and Good Luck

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 12:56am
post #4 of 7

ghghgh is actually correct. I too contacted the Dept of Ag and was told pretty much the same thing. It isn't feasible for us to add or change our house to accomodate a separate kitchen, so I am going to approach several food business owners in my area to find out about using their commercial kitchens to bake, decorate and deliver my cakes out of.

samymccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samymccray Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 7

I also contacted them, I'm in Wayne county. I was told that it's not allowed, you can rent a kitchen from someone like a restaraunt, caterer or church and they will then inspect and license you in that kitchen.

Good Luck

ghghgh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ghghgh Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 7

When I called the 800 number for the ag department they then put me through to a lady who deals specifically with st joe county. Maybe the laws are different depending on the area that you live in. We are looking at finishing the other half of our basment and turning this into a bakery.

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 12:33am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

I also contacted them, I'm in Wayne county. I was told that it's not allowed, you can rent a kitchen from someone like a restaraunt, caterer or church and they will then inspect and license you in that kitchen.

I personally know 2 ladies that have the basements of their home licensed here in Michigan. Michigan does allow it, but you do have hoops to jump through.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%