How Do I Use Piping Gel???

Decorating By Arty Updated 8 Dec 2006 , 4:44pm by RisqueBusiness

Arty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arty Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 7:21am
post #1 of 20

I am new to cake decorating and still learning what products do what. I decided to buy some piping gel.....but after searching for information, I can not find any about how I should use it??? icon_cry.gif

Please can someone tell me.........

19 replies
ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 7:41am
post #2 of 20

You can use it in different ways, for pattern transfer on a cake, for thining icing, it works great for writing when you add it to icing or you could just add color to it an write with it, you could use it to simulate water on a cake adding blue food coloring, I hope this helps ! thumbs_up.gif

Arty Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 20

Thank you, thank you for your reply and answer. Your reply has answered a multitude of questions I had. Only 1 further question I have from your reply - How does the piping gel work for pattern transfering? Would love to know.

Again thank you, really appreciate it icon_lol.gif

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 20

In addition to the uses suggested above, I use it for stained glass effects. There's an example in my photos.

Right now, I'm using it to emboss designs on chocolate Christmas ornaments. I let it dry a bit and then go over the embossing with liquiified luster dust.

I've also used it to make "bubbles" for a champagne flavored cake (also in my pix).

I keep a tub of the stuff (and a backup) all the time. It as a zillion uses.

Hope this helps.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 20

For pattern transfer:

Print out the image or words you want backwards. Place a sheet of waxed paper (or sheet protector, or any clear smooth non-porus surface) over the image. Pipe the gel using a tiny tip - I use a 1. GENTLY touch to fondant or crusted, smoothed bc cake. Straight down, straight up, and your gel has now left the image right on the cake. Trace the image with bc or ri.

Can also dilute and brush or sponge on fondant for a glossy finish.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 20

I absolutely LOVE the stuff to write with! I buy the tubs and add a little ready made icing in the tubes from the supermarket....about 1/2 then i add a little more of the same color, mix it well and I have all kinds of colors to write with pipe with....all of my black outlines are made with this mix if I'm not using the black edible markers!!

LOVE THE STUFF....in my photos I have a fairy cake that I made the waterfall and lake with blue piping gel. That effect I just added a little blue to the piping gel and left it almost clear..didnt' mix too well so some spots have more color that others...

you will Love using your piping gel! lol

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 3:42am
post #8 of 20

I also want to know about piping gel. I bought some here in New Zealand, white and green in a plastic tube. When I tried to write with it , it wouldn't squeeze out the tip I had attached. I thought it should be clear but coloured if you know what I mean but this just looks like thick icing. It is Wilton's brand.

Zmama Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 20

Is it fresh? Perhaps it dried out a bit.

Anyone know how to reconstitute the gel so it isn't so thick for her?

RisqueBusiness Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 20

since one of the main ingredients is corn syrup...you can try that...

then a drop of water as that is another one of the ingredients.

I mix my piping gel with water a lot of times to brush it on for just a shinny look

Zmama Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:46pm
post #11 of 20

Thanks, Risque. Wasn't sure if this was water based or not.

RisqueBusiness Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:47pm
post #12 of 20

<---font of useless facts and knowledge!

lol

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:53pm
post #13 of 20

They forgot to mention that you can use colored piping gel to make stained glass patterns on cakes!

As for Wilton piping gel, it has been mentioned in the threads more than a few times. It is best to warm it in some hot tap water before trying to squeeze it out of the tube. About a minute should be good. It will thin it enough to squeeze it without giving yourself carpal tunnel syndrome.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:58am
post #14 of 20

Thanks I will try your suggestions.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 5:01am
post #15 of 20

Lol. I love how we buy things who don't even know the use for. icon_lol.gif

Zmama Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 6:30am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

You have no idea LOL

I have quite a few thingies and dohickies sitting around waiting to be used.

RisqueBusiness Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 2:14pm
post #17 of 20

Zmama..I have things I KNOW how to use, but find no time to use them..lol

same coin, different sides!! lol

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 2:19am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

Zmama..I have things I KNOW how to use, but find no time to use them..lol

same coin, different sides!! lol

You can send them my way. thumbs_up.gif

Arty Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 2:28pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:

I hear you load and clear, I am forever going into my cake supply shop and buying things I haven't got a clue how to use??? The funny thing about is neither do the cake suppliers.........Being creative is all about trial and error....nothing in this world is perfect. The best way to learn is through experimentation. Even if it mean your cake ends up looking like something from a science project! LOL!

RisqueBusiness Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 4:44pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty

Quote:

I hear you load and clear, I am forever going into my cake supply shop and buying things I haven't got a clue how to use??? The funny thing about is neither do the cake suppliers.........Being creative is all about trial and error....nothing in this world is perfect. The best way to learn is through experimentation. Even if it mean your cake ends up looking like something from a science project! LOL!

That's why I love buying my supplies from BERYLS.COM as a pastry chef herself and English to boot she is an amazing decorator and EVERYTHING she sells she knows what it's for, since she basically uses it herself.

that is how she got into the supply business, she just got tired of people asking her to please get them the tools that she used to create her cakes..lol

I have called her to order just one item, and by the time that I hang up I have bought about 100.00 worth of stuff...and I don't regret ANY of my purchases!!!

Here in Miami there is a place that I buy my wilton products from and they have just NO clue about ANYTHING..you can't even ask them a simple question...it just frustrates me to no end to be standing in line and the person in front of me asks a simple question and they get no help!!

I'm like ..hire people that know what they are talking about for goodness sake.

I end up sticking my nose in ...answering the question..and then getting a crowd of people around me...then I lose my damm turn! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%