Where Do You Store Your Cake Pans?

Decorating By daisyblue Updated 3 Dec 2006 , 3:21am by moydear77

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 1:45am
post #1 of 18

I know most all of you are like me in that you probably have about a zillion different cake pans of all shapes & sizes. My question is, where do you store all of them? I have mine in a couple of different places & I'm thinking there's got to be a better way. I also know if there is a better way, someone here will know of it!! Right now I have the top shelf in my pantry full of pans & then all the rest of my pans are in 2 big Rubbermaid storage containers & they're in a spare closet. This is good for getting them out of the way, but not so good to drag them out to look for a pan. I'm wondering where everyone keeps their pans & if anyone has any convenient storage ideas.

17 replies
tugboat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tugboat Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 1:50am
post #2 of 18

I'm wondering the same thing! I would like to know if anyone has a good idea how to store them!

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:31am
post #3 of 18

This is definately an issue. I have only been decorating for about 15 months and already have containers everywher. I keep changing on what I think will work. I now have one container for round/square pans, 2 for speciality pans, 1 that has cookie cutter, fondant stuff, candy and cupcake items and another one for cake boards and boxes. I then have a rolling type file purchased from an office supply place that I store colors, decorating bags so that I can move from dining area to kitchen and save a few steps. I don't have room in my kitchen to store but I don't like it in my dining room either. I guess this will do for now but maybe something else will come to mind. icon_confused.gif

bekahscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahscakes Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 3:08am
post #4 of 18

I have my pans in the large rubbermaid containers, but I made lists on the computer and taped them on the lids so that I know what pans are in each container.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 3:09am
post #5 of 18

My cake pans are sitting on wire shelves in my garage some in and some out of boxes. Most of them I don't even use (character pans) I'll probably never use them.

Amy

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 3:18am
post #6 of 18

I put up a peg board in my garage and hung these hooks on them( like the long ones in the store)
I was able to hang 10 character pans on one hook! I have about 80 of these different charcter/shaped pans and they have holes in the top of them so it works out very well!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 3:49am
post #7 of 18

If you have the space on your walls use them to decorate your kitchen. I have most of my shaped pans up there. I have baskets that my rounds and such go in. A couple 3d pans are sitting on some cabinents snapped together so they look pretty. I have an area where I can put seasonal pans, I don't have tons of those.
I also have a spot for all my boxed pans, cupcake stand, and anything else that comes in the box.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:01am
post #8 of 18

Right now I have a table I decorate on. Under there I have big Rubbermaid totes filled with pans, a smaller one with chocolate and melt supplies and molds, a metal box with edibles (evap milk, jimmies, etc) and another with inedibles (cupcake liners, small toys for cupcake toppers, etc). Then on the table I took 8 6x8 mini crates stacked and taped together to make a organizer. Each cubby holds different things - one for dusts, one for colors, another for KA attachments, one for containers of icing, another for fondant, etc, etc. I also have two larger crates to hold cake boards, tools, ribbon, and other stuff that can be taken off the table while baking easily but keep things organized between.

I also have a HUGE tub of things I had to take out of the kitchen to make room for baking items. It's in the back room. That holds things like cooler cups (not needed in winter), party platters, and other seasonal kitchen items. Once a month or so I switch out my cookie cutters for the season, seasonal items get put back and new ones taken out, and basic organizing is cleaned up.

tugboat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tugboat Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:04am
post #9 of 18

Wow! These are all great ideas!

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:09am
post #10 of 18

At least one cabinet in the laundry room for the character pans, one in the computer room for other 'stuff', the drawer under the oven for 'regular' baking pans, the wicker chair in the corner for the ones I don't use very often but don't have anywhere else to store....I could go on, but I won't. The 'peg' idea is great...will bring it up to hubby!

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:34am
post #11 of 18

i have all of my character/shaped pans hanging from hangers in the closet since they have a hole in the top this works well. What i did was used wire hangers and shaped them to fit thru the hole and hang at the same time. My other pans i have in large tubs. I have a 3 tier wire rack i put in the closet and have all my tools in there. I put them in rubbermaid type containers and seperated them out based on use and type. For example, fondant tools are all in one etc... I put a label on the outside so i know which one is which (although they are in clear containers w/ the snap tops. I also took an unused dresser to store cake boards,seperator plates and boxes in.

Ok I will stop rambling. icon_smile.gif LOL
HTH

Edited to add:
I also have an excel spreadsheet of all my supplies (pans,tips,candy molds etc.). I print the list out and keep it on the rack next to all the supplies. I did this because I found that I was buying stuff I already had, plus this way I can keep track of what I DO have.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:51am
post #12 of 18

I have a closet under the stairway in the basement. It has shelves in the back and on one side. They are just wide enough for my pans. The big ones on the back shelf and the character pans to on the side shelves. It works perfect. I have a LOT of pans though and I used to keep them in boxes too. This way it is varily easy to find them. I do have about 4 shelves and still stack them about 5 or so high. Hope this gives someone an idea.

jacqrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacqrose Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:53am
post #13 of 18

I was lucky enough to redesign my spare bedroom (when my hubby was deployed and couldnt protest) into my craft room. All of mypans are stored in tupperware bins in the closet. Each type has its own container (square, cirle, oval etc.) Plus I have extra shelving to hold all of my other stuff. I just hope I never run out of room cause My DH said that was all the room i get.

Cynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynda Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 5:13am
post #14 of 18

icon_cool.gif
Great ideas, i have the same problem finding space.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 5:17am
post #15 of 18

I also do the rubbermaid containers in my craft room!

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 2:26am
post #16 of 18

Those are some great sorage ideas!! Oh, and jacqrose & nefgaby--an entire room dedicated to crafts/cake decorating---I'm so jealous!!! Ah, to dream.......one day........one day!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 2:39am
post #17 of 18

I store my pans by wrapping them in dry cleaning bags, then storing them on wire shelves (wire shelves are required in professional bakeries here, so I figured, why buy twice - I got what I will need for when the day comes!).

I got rid of most of my character pans, I only kept the 3-D pans and certain licensed ones, all the unlicensed ones like snowmen, bears, christmas trees. For those, I bought S-hooks at Home Depot, and hooked them to the sides of the wire racks. Hey, they come with holes to hang them with, right?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 3:21am
post #18 of 18

I have a huge Metal Rack from Sams. I hang athing that will hang with S hooks. And nest all my round pans together. Another good tip for all your colors and small tools. I bought stacking containers an Joanns. They have trays that snap at each end. So you can stack four on top of one another. Anyway they all paste colors and Dust perfectly.
So my rack is dwon in the "storage " Room AKA Where everything goes to die like all my display cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%