Buttercream Poinsetta

Decorating By acookieobsession Updated 4 Dec 2006 , 4:20am by Steady2Hands

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:39am
post #1 of 13

i would like to make buttercream poinsettas to go atop little cakes I am making for a cocktail party. However, as I will be busy cleaning and cooking, and did I say cleaning, I was wondering if I could make them in advance like buttercream roses and let them dry ona flat serface them move them a week later. I see in the article here it looks liek they are piped flat. So that tells me I could pipe onto a flt surface then leave til dry right???

If that does not work I could make them in royal, but i jsut did not want to have to tell people..watch out that might not taste to yummy to you.

And I am not skilled enough at gumpaste to try that yet...

Thanks for the help guys!!

Julia

12 replies
cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:44am
post #2 of 13

Pointsettias are made in a lilly tube and you can place them in an empty egg crate to help keep the shape. The foil alone should keep their shape as well but putting them in an egg carton should keep them from sliding around as they would on a tray or something!

Amy

cakemommy Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:45am
post #3 of 13

You don't need any advice!!!!! icon_cool.gif icon_confused.gif icon_rolleyes.gif thumbs_up.gif You are so talented! We should be asking you that question. Don't I feel like a dufus!!!! icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif

Amy

acookieobsession Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:49am
post #4 of 13

You're a cutie...Thanks!

Anyhoo..even the buttercream poinsettas in the lily tube thing? The class I had last year....I have almost forgotten. I knwo we used the tube with the royal ones, but the buttercream part escapes me.

Thanks again/

Julia

cakemommy Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:52am
post #5 of 13

Okay, call me retarted!!!! BUTTERCREAM NOT ROYAL!!!!! dunce.gif dunce.gif dunce.gif dunce.gif dunce.gif McFly!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, totally make those on a regular rose nail!

icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif

Amy

one more thing...you're doing this as a time saver?? You could pipe them directly on!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 13

Try this link, instructions for buttercream poinsettias:
http://www.thehoustoncakeclub.com/patterns/poinsettia.htm

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 13

I was wondering about this also and found this on CC:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article56-How-To-Make-a-Buttercream-Poinsettia.html

I have made some in the past using tip 352 (and no lily thingy) and thought they turned out all right.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 13

Joanmary, thanks for finding that - I was looking for it to post it for Julia. icon_smile.gif

acookieobsession Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you all of the links. The Houston cake club looks like it has lots of great ideas. I had seen the one on CC before, but was just confused about what base to use. How I did not thinkof the nail I have no idea....

Thanks again!

Julia

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 13

Here are some demo cupcakes I made. These are made with spackle. I think you'd be able to do them in buttercream and dry them. Just make sure the leaf part is good and stuck to the flower part so they don't come off later. I did it all with tip 352 and tip 2 for the dots.
LL

acookieobsession Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 5:40pm
post #11 of 13

Beautiful flowers!

Spackle...as in the crumbs mixed with icing or the spackle I put on my walls??

Did you do the leaf then the flower or the flower the add the leaves in. i was wondering maybe I could do the leaves on the petit four then place the flower on that way I would have something to glue the flower on with.

D you think that would work?

Thanks again...you guys rock.

JoJo40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo40 Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 11:49pm
post #12 of 13

Another way is to lay down your green leaves on the cake surface...then use the same tip (352) with red icing and lay down the red leaves on top of the green leaves (that's all a poinsettia is after all). Add the yellow dots in the center. No nail. Then let the buttercream dry at its own pace. I always go as direct with the cake as possible to eliminate handling the fragil flowers. When I take the wax paper and flower off the nail, it often tips over or flops upside down. LOL

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:20am
post #13 of 13

I have made several buttercream roses and let them dry for at least a day before putting them on a cake. I put a small waxed paper square on a flower nail, make the rose, and transer the rose on the paper to cutting boards to dry. I dry them on cutting boards so I can move them if I need counterspace.

I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to make a poinsettia the same way. You can even store them in a sealed container once they're dry and save them for a future cake. icon_wink.gif

Hey Koolaidstains ~ those cupcakes are gorgeous!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%