Fondant Wedding Cake...do I Need To Put It In The Fridge?

Decorating By cakesbyamym Updated 2 Dec 2006 , 10:10pm by cakesbyamym

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 18

I have a wedding cake tomorrow that's covered in fondant. I have never done a fondant cake a day early, so I have no idea about this, but can I put the individual layers together tonight, and place in the fridge? Should I just wait until tomorrow (10am wedding). Like I said, this is the first time that I'm having the fondant cake/day before problem. All comments welcome.. I'd really like to get this done TONIGHT if possible, but if it's not doable...

Amy

17 replies
melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 18

sorry i cant help...i have the same dilema, only more time and i cant decide on what to do either. ...i just wanted to say happy birthday, mine was the 11th also icon_lol.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 18

I guess the real question is what type of filling you have in the cake. If the filling needs refrigeration, then you'll have to put it in the fridge, but if not then I would just leave it out.

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 18

If the layers don't have anything requiring refridgeration, then no, you can leave them out, not a problem. I always decorate and assemble the day before the wedding - you don't want any problems and last minute repaires to make, the day of!

melysa Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 18

i must have drawn a blank!

what i have been told is if the fillings do need refrigeration, you'll want to take the cake out of the fridge several hours earlier than the wedding to let it come to room temp so that any condensation will evaporate. do not touch it untill this has happened. since its a 10 oclock wedding, take it out early in the morning. how many tiers? will the fondant have decorations piped on?

cakesbyamym Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 18

The fillings are different butter cream variations, so refrigeration of the actual cake isn't a problem. I'm worried about covering the cake with fondant, and it drying out. Any solutions, or am I just going to have to wait until the morning?

melysa...HAPPY B-DAY to you, too!!! icon_smile.gifparty.gif

melysa Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 18

oh you should be just fine if it is just bc and the only concern is it drying out. actually, just the opposite. the cake will stay better preserved at room temp with the fondant covering it....and only the exterior will "dry". slice into it and the fondant will still be soft. yay! problem solved. leave it out! icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 18

Since we're on the subject, I'll ask my question -- I have a mini-wedding cake for a birthday order coming up in January. I am planning on doing an 8 inch on the bottom, 6 inch on top with gumpaste flowers and the whole thing fondant covered. The underneath will have buttercream with real butter in it. I was planning to assemble it on Saturday, for delivery on Sunday so she can take it to the party on Monday. If I'm understanding these posts the cake will be fine out at room temp for those two days? I know gumpaste flowers don't like refrigeration (I had some calla lillies melt on me in a frig once). I was going to put the gumpaste flowers on right before delivery. Will my cake be okay? (the filling is the same buttercream icing as the crumb coat.)

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:07am
post #9 of 18

Your cake should be just fine! I use a recipe that calls for a stick of butter and it is fine for a couple of days at room temp. The amount of sugar in a traditional bc recipe helps act as a perservative.

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:12am
post #10 of 18

I don't refigerate my fondant. I found that it didn't do well. I would suggest just leaving it on the counter and maybe lightly covering it in saran-wrap so that nothing gets on it.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:21am
post #11 of 18

I never put fondant cakes in the refridgerator. What kind of fondant are you using?

Angie

dodibug Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:31am
post #12 of 18

I have refridgerated mmf several times with no problems. Like someone else said depending on the size of the cake you have to take it out a couple of hours before you need it so the condensation can evaporate.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 12:39am
post #13 of 18

Does that work with other fondants (i.e. Satin Ice)?

I've heard that it shrinks in the fridge- is such an affirmation incorrect?

cakesbyamym Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 1:00am
post #14 of 18

I'm using MMF.

melysa Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:01am
post #15 of 18

i wouldnt wrap it with plastic, rather place it in a cake box with slight ventilation so no condensation forms in the box if its airtight.

dodibug Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:17am
post #16 of 18

Satin Ice's website says it is perfectly fine to refridgerate.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:25am
post #17 of 18

Every cake I have EVER done has spent the night in the fridge. I've never had any problems with anything drying out, cracking, or melting. Just use your best judgement...if your gut tells you to put in the fridge, then do it....if it tell you to be hesitant, then don't. thumbs_up.gif

cakesbyamym Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 10:10pm
post #18 of 18

The cake that I fretted over yesterday...for nothing...is in my photos...the red and black designs on white fondant. I ended up making up all of my butter creams, fondant, and various other items needed, and covering them for first thing this morning. Just didn't want to chance anything. I had one spot on the middle tier that just wouldn't smooth out...kept tearing. The bride and groom both saw it separately while I was setting it up and they loved it! Yeah!!! I was shocked at how easily it went together. What a nice change of pace! icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the tips!
Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%