How Do I Get Rid Of Imperfections In Fondant?

Decorating By chele_belle Updated 30 Sep 2007 , 5:41pm by SScakes

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 11

I am always having trouble with getting small imperfections in my fondant. They look like small holes, am I kneading it too much? I'm pretty new to this so any help would be appreciated. I have attached links to pictures of my latest cake. It's hard to see them but I think it's easiest in the black tier.

TIA
Chele icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1088143
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1088123
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1088103

10 replies
messyeater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messyeater Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 11

I'm not an expert either but I don't think you can over-knead fondant. Do you use a smoother? That normally helps to get rid of imperfections on the surface...you can also use the flat of hand and gently rub. For small pieces you could try rolling out between layers of parchment paper, this will give you a smoother finish.
Nice cake by the way!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 11

Are you making your fondant or buying it?

If you are making it what recipe are you using? if you are buying it what brand are you using?

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 11

Your fondant might be a little on the dry side, I notice when I use cornstarch to roll out my fondant I get little imperfections.. but when I use crisco they dont seem to be there. I would try using crisco to roll out your fondant, also what are you rolling on there might be imperfections in your mat or table or whatever you are using. HTH

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 11

i have the same problem i have used MMF and satin ice. the satin ice is better but still has it, and that darn hand skin cause it dries so quickly (looks like my grandmoms hand, nice, smooth, but wrinkly). What i have done to help is to roll it out. and then instead of using the side the rolling piun touched as the underneath, i flip it over and then it is a lot smoother. hope that makes sense.

chele_belle Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 11

I am using satin ice and crisco when I roll it out. Tricia I had thought of that also, that sounds like the way to go.

The imperfections are more like tiny bubbles that have burst, that is why I was wondering if I was kneading it too much. Also, when I tried using my smoother it would stick rather than glide so I just used my hands.

Thanks.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 11

Hmmm... my smoother only sticks when I do the flip thing and it working with the oily side. My oily sides look like your tiny bubbles, thats why I use the dry top side. Wait, are you greasing the top side of the fondant as well? I wouldn't.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 12:25am
post #8 of 11

Also, you can use the fondant smoother to smooth out the fondant BEFORE you put it on the cake.

It always gets sticky on me if I put it on a chilled cake too...

Courtney

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 12:42am
post #9 of 11

You don't have to knead satin ice much. Just enough to warm it a little. I would first check your rolling surface make sure it is very smooth and noogie free. icon_eek.gif Also your rolling pin should be absolutely smooth and particle free. icon_confused.gif I've found that just a dusting of cornstarch keeps your surface stick free. Make sure it is smooth and put a little on your rolling pin. When using store bought fondants I've found crisco etc to make my fondant to greasy to handle. Don't press real hard when rolling but gently roll from center out turning your fondant after every roll. should come up easily and be very smooth. If you were having bubbles with homemade I'd ask did you sift your PS and did you wrap it tight and let it sit in fridge overnight. HTH

chele_belle Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:29am
post #10 of 11

ok maybe I'll try cornstarch I was just afraid it would make it stiff.

Thanks

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 5:41pm
post #11 of 11

I'm no expert with fondant but I use sifted powdered sugar to roll out on. Not too much, just enough to not let it stick.

Place the powdered sugar in a sieve and dust over your work surface to avoid getting lumps in some areas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%