Stacking Bundt Cakes-Pumpkin Cake

Decorating By wendydou Updated 30 Sep 2007 , 9:15am by pinkdaisy

wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 11:29am
post #1 of 11

I have offered to do two pumpkin cakes so I figured I'd stack bundt cakes.. but I guess I didn't think this through yet.. will the base be able to handle the weight?? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I wanted a round stand up cake, but not sure I'll be able to do it.

Wendy

10 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 11:32am
post #2 of 11

It will be fine stacking the two bundt cakes, they are hollow in the middle making them lighter then you think icon_smile.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 11:35am
post #3 of 11

I didn't have any problem stacking the 2 cakes. There wasn't a problem with them being torted and lightly filled and then just stacked one on top of the other to form the pumpkin. If you're worried about the weight, you can dowel and place the second cake on a cake board, cut slightly smaller than the layer and then stack as usual.

wendydou Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 12:18pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks, I may dowel them just to ease my anxiety.. my bundt pans are not squared off they are more pointy so I wonder if they would rock too.. I guess I could put a ton of RI as grass around it too to give it some structure....

Wendy

lapazlady Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 11

I didn't find any stability problems, the cake itself has a fairly large base and it sat up just fine. It was a lot of fun to put together.

wendydou Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 11

THanks..

you are up early! I thought it was early here until I saw that you are in California! Insomniac?? LOL

Wendy

lapazlady Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 11

And Good Morning to you, too. I'm not in California, I'm in Mexico, Baja California Sur. And, it is early, (Mountain time), about 6:30, right now. I'm frequently on the site around 5AM.

pinkdaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkdaisy Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 11

Hi Lapazlady! I just looked at your pumpkin cake in your photos and it is super cute!! Is the base an "upside down" bundt cake, then topped with a "right side up" bundt cake? And if you don't mind my asking, how did you do the curlie tendrils? I've absolutely zero fondant experience, but just bought a bucket of Satin Ice and would like to make this my first try. I have leaf shaped cookie cutters -- can I cut out the fondant with those? Thanks for any tips you can offer about any aspect of your pumpkin.

lapazlady Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 11

The cake is assembled by putting the two "tops" together. I trimmed off the bulge that happens and added a bit of filling and stuck them together. Super easy. The curly-cues are green fondant that was wound around a drinking straw. They need 24 hours or so to dry, again, really fast and easy. The stem was formed with fondant and painted with luster dust and vodka. Fast, easy and a good lookin' cake in the end.

lapazlady Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 11

Hi, again. Went back and reread your note. Yes, cookie cutters are wonderful for cutting out shapes from fondant.

pinkdaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkdaisy Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 9:15am
post #11 of 11

LL, thank you so much for your tips! I think I'm ready to give it a shot and will let you know what happens (although I may be back here in the meantime with more questions, if that's okay!). Thanks again and have a good day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%