Decorating By mom2kay Updated 29 Sep 2007 , 3:51am by fiddlesticks

mom2kay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2kay Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 8
7 replies
emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 8

I'm going to be brave here and assume you do actually want pointers and aren't just fishing for compliments icon_wink.gif

Your cakes are nice, neat work and I love the boat one.

I would suggest you;re not a strong piper (I'm not either, none of my cakes have piping!) as the piped letters and some details are shaky. You can make your work look more professional by using letter stamps or shaping letters out of rolled or extruded fondant sausages/ribbons. You can also edge using these - get yourself a fondant or clay gun to make this job easier. That's my one suggestion. My second one would be too think carefully about your colour schemes - I use art books to help me - I love Kaffe Fassetts quilting books for colour schemes.

Now that I've replied you can feel completely free to ignore everything I've said and maybe more pepole will post disagreeing with me or making other suggestions.

All this posting is meant with genuine desire to answer your request for pointers.

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 8

mom2kay and emma,

thank you both! I have a terrible time with both piping and colors and this may be exactly the help I need!!

meancat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meancat Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 8

I think you are doing a good job icon_smile.gif Its hard sometimes w/ the lettering - i have to watch my coffee intake before I do letters. Also I would just suggest paying great attention to detail and work on fondant smoothing.

chococherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chococherry Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 2:02am
post #5 of 8

I like your cakes - you have a nice design sense, and definately have a lot of promise.

I would say, don't be afraid to cut the cake into perfect shapes - like taking the rounded top off to have a smoother surface.

And about color- My suggestion is to be very careful with color particularly when you are using two or more shades of the same color - I'm thinking here of the (really adorable) monkey cake with the two shades of green. Dispite being in the same spectrum, they won't nessecarily go together.

My particular favorite was the ladybug cake - which you said was your first cake!!!! I thought that was funny. icon_smile.gif

kellycakes4949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycakes4949 Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 3:04am
post #6 of 8

One tip that I received is to purchase covered cake boards, or cover them yourself with the foil (not tin foil). It gives your cakes a finished, professional look.

mom2kay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2kay Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 3:29am
post #7 of 8

i am new at this and not sure of all the materials so i love the advice. thanks

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 3:51am
post #8 of 8

I love your buttons & bow cake ! And I think the only way you can improve you slice of cheesecake, Is to share the recipe with me ! LOL! I would love to have it . If you care to share? Thanks !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%