Wilton Red Colors

Decorating By Hollygb22 Updated 4 Dec 2006 , 3:01pm by 2sdae

Hollygb22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollygb22 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making royal icing poinstettas for a christmas cake...I have Wilton Christmas red, used (what I thought) was quite a bit and it just isn't red

I saw a post where someone recommended Americolor..I don't have time to order that

Any hint on making the wilton colors deeper---let it sit for a while--will the color deepen--or just add more?

8 replies
Jenn1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn1978 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 9

It will deepen with time but if it's still to pink just keep adding red. I use a few different colors of red. I use the Wilton Red, Red and the Christmas Red. I just keep adding until I get the color I want. It does take alot of red. Ive used the Wilton reds in all of my pics icon_smile.gif Good Luck!

CherylAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylAnn Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 8:44am
post #3 of 9

For future reference, I ordered americolor on sunday morning from cc, and it arrived on wednesday, and Im in southern Kentucky so... I was impressed, and very very pleases with the red and the coppertone thumbs_up.gif

Justenjoyingit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justenjoyingit Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 9

You might try adding the red tube icing from wilton to your icing.

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 9

I use the no taste Red and it definitely darkens with time. I was worried on my spiderman cake because I didn't want him to be pink and light blue, but he turned out well with pretty vibrant color

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 9

I have found that Christmas Red will never give you a good red color no matter how much you use--you will get a nice deep pink. No-Taste and Red Red are your best bets for a decent red color. But if you have already added the Christmas Red, go ahead and add just a bit of the no-taste or the Red Red and it will turn--don't waste what you already made. icon_wink.gif But, yup, for future stuff, go ahead and order the Americolor Super Red--it is the best!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 9

You can also get a good red by first coloring your icing hot pink (I use pink and rose) and then adding the red color - you'll be surprised how easy it is to get a decent red this way. I did this until learning about americolors!!!

~Chelle

Hollygb22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollygb22 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for all the tips

Christmas Red def. did not give me that red red I was looking for to make royal icing poinsettas

I did add no taste red which deepened the color for me!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 9

I just made some of the same thing yesterday and I used wilton red-red and wilton no taste and they came out RED! Kinda flat, for some reason I forgot about using my lilly nails or my flower formers!!!! DOAH! Now I will be making them A-G-A-I-N-!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%