I Need Moral Support!

Decorating By taznjo Updated 1 Dec 2006 , 12:34am by superstar

taznjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taznjo Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 11:09am
post #1 of 20

It is noon here in Germany and I am getting ready to put together my first wedding cake and I need some moral support! It is a four tiered cake - 12, 10, 8, 6 inch layers - Square. Each cake has a layer of red velvet and white cake, with a cream cheese filling and covered in mint buttercream, then in Satin Ice Fontant. A nice white satin ribbon goes across the bottom of the cake and roses between each layer. (BTW, how do I attach the ribbon.) I have been decorating cakes for only a year and have only made about 12 total. So I am nervous. The cakes are in the freezer, the frosting on the counter and I am working up the nerve to put it all together. EEK!!!

Wedding is tomorrow, but I have to take the wedding photos at 2:30 p.m. in Frankfurt (1.5 hours away) and the wedding reception is at 6 p.m.

Any hints, helps, words of advice or support?

Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

19 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 11:18am
post #2 of 20

Sounds like you are set and ready to go with your icing/decorating. Take a deep breath and repeat "I can do this, I can do this!"

Be sure to post pictures, it sounds beautiful. Janice

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 11:26am
post #3 of 20

thumbs_up.gif You just jump in with both feet and do what you love! MAKE, BAKE DECORATE!!!!!! You have the talent, the know how now.......GO, GO , GO!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

taznjo Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 11:29am
post #4 of 20

Thanks, it is just scary and I just had another minor setback. I have a crystal like scrollwork cake stand from wilton, and when I went to take off the sticker from the "crystal like" plate "GULP" it wouldn't come off, so I used some sticky stuff remover (like goof-off) and it permanently damaged a $79 cake stand! OH CRAP!!! And the Bride bought the cake stand! Not a great way to start off my first wedding cake!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 11:44am
post #5 of 20

You will do fine. The hardest part is jumping in and getting started. Are you going to assemble on site? If possible, that is going to be your best bet. I did my first a few months ago and was nervous at first but it all came together just right!!

You can attach the ribbon with a little royal icing. I would use a pastry bag and #1 or #2 tip and add dots of icing every inch or so around the base. Hope this helps and good luck!! Can't wait to see your photos!!

Cindy

taznjo Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 11:47am
post #6 of 20

Yes, I will assemble on site. I just got done putting the filling on the 12" layer and am getting ready to put a coat of buttercream on it. After I get all layers frosted, I will smooth them out and apply the fondant. Then tomorrow I will take them to the reception center and with the help of another friend, arrange the roses and get is set up.

Think that will work ok?

cindy6250 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 11:53am
post #7 of 20

Sounds great!! I think you will do just fine. Be sure to take a little repair kit with you in case you have a boo-boo. I took one so I could add my borders when I got the cake assembled.

The best thing is to just stay calm. I had a list of everything I needed to do and to take with me to the venue so I wouldn't forget anything.

Again, best wishes!!
Cindy

jonalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonalisa Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 12:05pm
post #8 of 20

the suggestion to take a repair kit is an excellent one. are the roses real or icing/fondant/? take extras to account for breakage/bruising. you might be able to buff up the base where the label was by rubbing in some cooking oil, then wipe off all the excess, if the only problem is that it is dull. best way to get those darn labels off is by putting a layer of cooking oil over them and letting it work for a while, then sliding the stupid (yes, i called it stupid) thing off. why the manufacturers put them in places where they will show, or use adhesive that is damaging to the product is beyond me.

just go in and work like you know what you are doing and have been doing this for a while. your confidence will inspire the others who are watching and they will be more likely to leave you alone to do what you need to do, or help when you request it. leave the shakiness inside where no one else can see it! with practice comes perfection, and you have already 'practiced' on 12 other cakes, so this one will work out great, too! enjoy the day!

taznjo Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 12:16pm
post #9 of 20

Those are great ideas. The cake is simple, just fontant squares with a ribbon boarder, so I am not sure what I would need for a "tool kit" - any ideas? Maybe some crisco to fix any fontant issues. Other than that.....

Here is another question. The red velvet cake keeps getting red crumbs in my white frosting. Any ideas on how to fix that or will I be OK because I am putting fontant over top of it?

starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 20

you should do a crumb coat if you are realty worried about it (should be ok under fondant though) slap on a thin layer, let it crust for 20 min or so then add a thicker layer of BC. But i wouldnt bother if you are covering it anyway. HTH

cindy6250 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 12:36pm
post #11 of 20

If you are covering the cake in fondant, you really don't have to worry about crumbs in the icing underneath.

As far as a repair kit, shortening sounds good and maybe some royal icing in a bag in case some of the ribbon pulls loose. Do you need anything special to attach the flowers to the cake? Are you going to write on the outside of the cake? I saw your samples and you had writing on those. If so, I would like some extra icing in case it gets smeared in transport.

Cindy

taznjo Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 12:43pm
post #12 of 20

Thanks. The bride decided she didn't want the writing on it after all, so goodie for me. One less thing to worry about!

Also (and I will post this in another forum too) what is the Viva Paper Towell Method or what other methods are good to smooth buttercream?

cindy6250 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 12:51pm
post #13 of 20
taznjo Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 12:55pm
post #14 of 20

Waa Hoo! Thanks. Have I ever told you all that I Love you? In case I never make it out from under this wedding cake, I just want you all to know.... I really love you.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 1:18pm
post #15 of 20

you'll be fine, seems like you got it all under control. Just take and assemble! And YES! Those stickers are S-T-U-P-I-D!!!!! icon_lol.gif

jonalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonalisa Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 1:19pm
post #16 of 20

you might want to take extra ribbon with you, in case some gets creased or smeared with the icing and you're not able to clean it up completely. be able to repair any border you are placing, and take something to write with just in case that bride changes her mind again. if you have a press set for different messages or a build\\your\\own message set, that would be a handy thing to have along. or whatever she originally wanted on parchment paper so you can punch through it with a needle and then pipe over it right there. being prepared for whatever they decide at the last minute is a way to outsmart Murphy ( of Murphy's Law). cheers!

luvincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvincake Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 1:36pm
post #17 of 20

I just looked at your cakes and they are beautiful. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Also I don't know if anyone has told you this (and I hope it isn't too late), But I would iron the ribbon in wax paper to keep the icing or fondant from giving it an oily look.

Ann

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 1:48pm
post #18 of 20

i am hijacking this thread for a moment. I am always looking for more "tricks of the trade" and i have alot BUT luvincake.... I LOVE YOU! you just gave me an "a-ha!" moment! iron the ribbon in wax paper!!!! OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!! I am ALWAYS looking for ribbon that will stand up to the oil marks and now i dont have to! You have saved me! (ok... so i'm being dramatic..... but seriousl... GREAT tip!)
thumbs_up.gif

taznjo Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 2:07pm
post #19 of 20

Great idea with the ribbon. I will do that right away! I have been working on this blasted cake for 4 hours and all I have done are the two largest layers. I have gone through 9 boxes of powdered sugar, 10 cake batches, 4 boxes of cream cheese and about four changes of clothes. I did the viva thing on the bottom layer and it looks really good. I just finished layer 2 and am starting layer 3.

When do you suggest putting the fontant on? Once all three are completely finished?

I am frosting them frozen, but I read that it isn't a good idea to put fondant on a frozen cake. Any ideas?

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 12:34am
post #20 of 20

Sounds like everything has been covered. Good Luck & please post a picture of your finished cake.
June

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%