Gumpaste Or Fondant Cross Topper

Decorating By brightbrats Updated 30 Nov 2006 , 5:13am by ShirleyW

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 4:02am
post #1 of 4

I tried looking through previous forums, but the search section says it is under construction. So I thought I would just ask.

Which would be better for a cake topper for a dedication, a gumpaste cross or a fondant cross ?

Also do you know where I can get a pattern, it is to late to order a mold.

Plus I have never used gumpaste before, is it easy to work with ?

Anything else you think I need to know on this topic, then I am all ears. icon_lol.gif

3 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 4:16am
post #2 of 4

I would suggest gumpaste, it dries harder and faster than fondant. Do you know how to do quilling? Just roll the gumpaste free hand cut a solid cross shape (cross cookie cutter if you have one) and let it dry completely. Roll gumpaste out and cut thin strips about 1" long, roll each strip one at a time around the handle of a small artist paint brush or a pencil, slip it off carefully, moisten one side of the roll with gum glue and glue it to the solid cross. Continue till it has been filled, I glued a few pearl beads inside some of the rolls and let the whole thing dry, then dusted with super pearl luster dust. I made a solid base out of a small amount of gumpaste, rolled thick, about 1/2" then cut out a design with a petal gumpaste cutter, let it dry completely. Or you could just form it by hand, an oval and then flattened, I glued the cross upright to the base with a hot glue gun.
LL
LL

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 5:01am
post #3 of 4

ShirleyW

That cross is beautiful.

Don't know if I can do it or not, but I think I'll give it some practice, I have until the 10th of next month, so maybe I can give it a shot.

Thanks for the info. thumbs_up.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 5:13am
post #4 of 4

Here is a good step by step tutorial on paper quilling. You can do the same designs with gumpaste.It really isn't difficult, just a little time consuming.
http://www.tjcdesigns.co.uk/quilling-c256.html

By the way, no, gumpaste isn't hard to work with, I use Nicholas Lodge's recipe but you can buy Wilton's gumpaste mix. Not the best quality in my opinion but it is alright. And it's more readily available than Tylose powder or Gum Tragacanth, you can probably find it at Michael's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%