Where To Buy Luster Dust?

Decorating By asweetheart3 Updated 1 Dec 2006 , 6:30pm by confectionaryperfection

asweetheart3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asweetheart3 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 29

Where is the best and cheapest place to buy this stuff?

28 replies
Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 29

I buy mine from Jesters Party Supply on eBay...$2.49 per container (2 ounces I think), and $4 shipping no matter how many you buy.

Jodiedew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jodiedew Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 29

Is luster dust the same as the shimmery edible stuff wilton sells?

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 29

Nope, it is not the same. the luster dust you can paint on with alcohol...the Wilton stuff you just sprinkle on...at least the edible glitter.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 29

I just bought some off of Amazon and I tried it today. I love it!! I need to buy some more. I painted a ribbon with it, and then brushed some on dry and the ribbon was gorgeous!! I wish I had ordered more than I did!

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 29

I've not tried luster dust but want to very badly. Is there a general color that will give everything a pearl-like luster or do you need to buy individual colors?

pinkorchid50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid50 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 12:07am
post #7 of 29

Yes, it will look like real pearls and Gold like jewelry..like these..
LL
LL
LL

ckdcr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckdcr8r Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 12:18am
post #8 of 29

I sell it, too. See my site or PM me. $3.25 ea 10 different colors and Super Pearl. The Super Pearl is the one that will give anything that pearl finish. Order by Dec. 10 for Christmas delivery. $4.25 shipping up to $50.

asweetheart3 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 12:28am
post #9 of 29

Thanks for responding.
My other question is, for those ornament cupcakes, do they use a seperate color dust on each one (red on the red cupcakes, blue on the blue), or is there one paticular shade they used on all of them?
TIA

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 1:35am
post #10 of 29

I'm waiting till my next trip to the city, but people have said they mix colors to get it just right. You probably can get anything pearled with one, but I plan on buying a few colors.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 1:51am
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by asweetheart3

Thanks for responding.
My other question is, for those ornament cupcakes, do they use a seperate color dust on each one (red on the red cupcakes, blue on the blue), or is there one paticular shade they used on all of them?
TIA

I was wondering the same thing... I would think you can either use red luster dust with red fondant and blue with blue... OR maybe we can get away with it by only using the super pearl on all the colors??
Hopw someone else can tell how its done.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 4:47am
post #12 of 29

Anyone?

ckdcr8r Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 5:23am
post #13 of 29

Where are the ornament cupcakes? I must have missed that. It sounds like the way you are describing it, it can be done either way. Using the same color dust as the fondant would just intensify the color, and the pearl would just add that finish. When you dust it on, it looks irridescent like a pearl, and when you paint it on by mixing with alcohol, it looks metalic. If you paint pearl dust on colored fondant, it does lighten it a bit, but dusting doesn't make much of a difference in shade.

nefgaby Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 5:28am
post #14 of 29

I was looking for the post on the ornament but the search engine is down... They were cupcakes made for a Wilton contest. Thanks for the info!

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 5:48am
post #15 of 29
nefgaby Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 5:50am
post #16 of 29

Yeees, but the question is with the luster dust... did you use green luster with green fondant or just super pearl on every color? Thanks so much!

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 5:51am
post #17 of 29

I tinted my fondant first and then I used silver on all of them.

nefgaby Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 5:53am
post #18 of 29

oooohhhh I see, was it nu silver? I thought you used colored luster dusts to match each color fondant.... mistery solved! Thanks so much!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 5:53am
post #19 of 29

tinting fondant first with gel color, THEN dusting with DRY super pearl dust will work just fine, and make your dust stretch further. mixing it into "paint" and painting it on would take quite abit of the powder. the luster dusts do come in so many colors but if you want just plain non metalic color, go for the petal dusts. i have not tried dusts on buttercream, only fondant, chocolate and royal icing. i love the stuff!

i too buy mine from ebay (jesterpartysupply or something like that)

nefgaby Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 5:54am
post #20 of 29

OK, so super pearl will work the same way as a silver?

ckdcr8r Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 6:01am
post #21 of 29

Hey, those are awesome!! I'd say you just used pearl dust on them, right? Not individual colors. I can tell from the glare of the camera flash. They all have the same color sparkle. Very creative! Oh, and BTW, I think you could easily get $50 out of a nicely packaged box of 6. icon_lol.gif

asweetheart3 Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 1:10pm
post #22 of 29

Thanks for your help!! I've never used any sort of luster dusts before, and kinda needed it spelled out for me.
mnmmommy your cupcakes are beautiful, and are a real inspiration.

ckdcr8r Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 3:39pm
post #23 of 29

You can't dust on BC for obvious reasons. You will gunk up your brush and mess up your icing! You can spray it on through an airbrush. Mix it with alcohol, of course. I have done that and it works ok, but the brush tends to clog after a while. If you are desperate for that BC taste and the pearl look, maybe try a rolled BC. You can dust that.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 6:10pm
post #24 of 29

I have a question.... I want to buy some luster dust but there are so many colors out there I don't know where to begin. For those of you that have/use it do you recommend I start with certain colors? It seems the silver/gold I many get the most use out of. TIA

SueW

nefgaby Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 7:35pm
post #25 of 29

The first colors I got were the gold, silver, a sweet color pink, blue and green. Also the Super Pearl, which is the one I LOVE!! HTH

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 10:02pm
post #26 of 29

i started with all the metal finishes, gold, silver, copper and super pearl. i also ordered a few basic colors. my favorite and the most used and versitile is the super pearl. now, if you get the luster dust, all of them will have a translucent glittery color to them and will only be solid if you paint them on with alcohal. if you want a basic color without the metalic sheen, go for the petal dusts.

someone asked if the pearl does the same as silver...it all just depends on the look you are trying to achieve. for example...if i use grey tinted fondant, and dry dust with super pearl, it will look silver. if you use pearl on white fondant, it looks like a pearl. if you use silver on white fondant, it will look silver. i do think that the pearl is the most versatile and useful though. but ifyou are going to buy some, you may as well pick out a few colors to make it worth your shipping expense. if you pay two dollars for a dust, but then four or five for shipping, i say what the heck, buy at least four or five colors, cause you know you will love them and want to use them on everything once you have em'

ckdcr8r Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 7:26am
post #27 of 29

I agree...

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 4:05pm
post #28 of 29

Thanks everyone! I ordered a bunch last night. Started with the metallic ones then added a few primary colors. Can't wait to get them and start playing icon_lol.gif

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 6:30pm
post #29 of 29

if you go to ckproducts you can get them for under 2.00 each. but you have to be legal. if anyone wants i can add to my next order with them, wont have before christmas thou. ckproducts.com

PETAL DUST-PINK      
add to cart

Product Number:
43-1002

Product Description:
Packaging:   
EACH   1

Pricing (Qty)
1-2   3-11   12+   
$1.45   $1.35   $1.30

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%