What The Heck Is Glycerin!!!!!!!

Decorating By gacandle Updated 27 Sep 2007 , 4:22pm by smoore

gacandle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gacandle Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:03am
post #1 of 8

i want to try toba garrett's fondant recipe and it has glycerin in it. and okay so I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT IS!!!!!!!!!!! i know i'm still new and learning so could someone please help and explain what it is and where i can find it? thanks

7 replies
darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:21am
post #2 of 8

I dont know chemical what exacty it is but I buy mine at my local pharmacy. It comes in a small bottle and it's a clear liquid. But I have also done toba's fondant without it and it turns out fine as it says in the recipe it is optional. So if you cant find it dont worry about it.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:25am
post #3 of 8

Wilton has glyceryn in their product line. I believe it helps with the elasticity of the fondant. It can also be used to restore paste colors that have dried out.

gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:28am
post #4 of 8

And it so sticky! Do not let it spill in your cupboard! Trust me! it took me forever to get it off all of my bottles and bits and pieces!

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 8

Ginger I know what you mean lol I had some of my paste colors spill out of the little jars with the heat in my cupboard lol what a mess that was, Now I have a deep plastic container with a lid that I can stand everything up in so now no more messes lol.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 8

Glycerine is technically glycerol. Here's an article about on Wiki. As a chemist, I actually used this as part of my undergrad research (several years ago-LOL). Amazing how you find out about stuff!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 8

You can pick up some glycerol in the wilton isle at Michael's, AC Moore, or Jo-ann fabric and crafts.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 8

The cheapest location I've been able to find Glycerin is at my local pharmacy (CVS/Wallgreens). It's located in the same area as hand moisturizers. It's the same stuff as what Wilton sells, but a lot cheaper. Walmart pharmacies (in my area anyway) will sell it to you as well. Go to the drop off window and ask ... The local pharmacy I have only sells it in pints, so I tend to get it from the drug stores in smaller bottles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%