Just A Little Upset .....

Decorating By cakesbybert Updated 29 Nov 2006 , 11:42pm by Doug

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 20

Don't know if this has happened to anyone.....

I received a last minute request for a cake for an Eagle Scout Court of Honor. I agreed since my son is in the same troop. Cake turned out great (photos later - still living in the stone age no digital camera icon_cry.gif )

Anyway take the cake to the reception, the parents think it is great icon_biggrin.gif . So is placed on a cake display table and we go to the Court of Honor ceremoney. I figure that everyone attending will get a chance to see the cake decorated .... giving me possibly more business. Well the ladies they had to serve the cake - rushed out of the ceremoney and had the thing cut to pieces before everyone got down to the room. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gif Luckily the family had taken pictures before. I was very disappointed that no one got to see the cake and I heard several comments from ladies that said they wished they could have seen the cake.

Guess shouldn't be upset since the family got to see the cake....but 000h icon_mad.gif if they hadn't gotten pictures. Just didn't know how you all feel or if this has happened to you.

Want to also THANK MessiET and LisaMS for their great advice on making the Eagle medal.

19 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 20

Oh I would have been really disappointed too! I had sort of a similar situation with a block party. I went to a lot of trouble to do a sponge bob cake because 1) I just wanted to make a cake 2) I was kind of hoping to show off some skills to get some business in the neighborhood. So i was a little worried that maybe people wouldnt eat it because it was not really finger food or no one would want to be the one to cut it. Well I was wrong. It wasnt sitting there for more than a minute when a little boys says, "can someone help me get a piece of cake?" While I was happy it got eaten, I just had hoped a few more people could have seen it. There goes like 7 hours of work!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 20

I hover around my cake like a little bumblebee (guarding it) and bragging about it (I'm shameless!) and if someone wants to cut it I tell them to wait and let more people come in so everyone can get a piece. When I'm standing there guarding it they don't seem to argue with me! icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 20

I had this happen with my first big cake at church for Confirmation a few years back. I was so upset because of all the work I'd put into it and then no one got to appreciate it--after all, it wasn't just some run of the mill sheet cake from Wal-Mart or Costco.

It was then that I made a simple rule--If I'm doing the cake and attending the function, it is will NOT be cut until EVERYONE attending the function has arrived in the room, just like at a wedding reception. I usually cut my cakes now, so that it's up to me when to take up the knife. If the cake is delivered, I have no control over it.

I get no complaints having people wait 10 minutes for a slice of cake--I got more complaints when they didn't get to see it all in one piece!

I think if someone arrives with a knockout cake, it's pretty much common sense to let it stand whole until it's appreciated by all in attendance. If speed service is the goal, the reception coordinator should tell the cake provider to just bring plain sheet cakes that can be cut up quickly.

Those "rush the gun" ladies did you a great disservice--any possibilty of some jealousy involved???

Rae

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 20

I'm so sorry this happened to you!! I would've been very sad and dissapointed as well!! Hope you feel better and "it happens" ... I know it would've been a perfect opportunity to get more orders but... what can I say, some people just don't understand how much work we put on a cake!

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 20

How thoughtless of those ladies, and how upsetting for you, and for the family who paid for it! I'm glad you have pictures.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 20

I wouldn't have been upset, I would have been P***ED (rhymes with hissed) OFF! icon_mad.gif So sorry this happened to you. Some people have no idea what all goes in to making a cake. Just like being a waitress or working in retail, you never understand what all goes into it until you have done it.

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 20

How irritating. Sorry this happened to you.

I have a different problem. No one wants to cut mine so sometimes they go uneaten until someone "brave" enough to cut the pretty cake does it. I've had people leave a party without cake because the cake was "too pretty" to eat. Arrghhh... icon_mad.gif

danny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danny Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 20

yes its hard sometimes for us decoraters because its a form of art work! but at the same time we get to eat our artwork. sorry this happened to you. i know how you feel because ive been there!!! icon_wink.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 20

Some people just don't think. I'm sorry everyone didn't get to see your cake. I'm sure it was great. I am looking forward to seeing it.
June

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:39pm
post #11 of 20

ooh ooh I had a great idea! Well it may not be cost effective, but if you had a color printer at home (and if your business is legal) you could print up business cards w/ a picture of the cake that is at the event and place them by the cake - that way everyone gets to see what the cake looked like AND they can take it to their friends to show them! Talk about advertising! Like they could go up to someone and say "ooh you gotta see this cake that was at this party I went to last week" - then they have your card and the picture of the cake - cool! The only thing would be cost - but if you're doing a small event - say 50 -100 people, it might be worth it to just print a few cards at home! icon_smile.gif Now just make sure your writing is legible over hte picture or place the picture off to the side of the card and your info. on the other side icon_smile.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:46pm
post #12 of 20

I've had the complete opposite problem. No one will cut it because it is "too pretty," or they thought it was part of the decorations. I've even cut a piece myself to start it, but even then, it just sits there.

cakegurl06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegurl06 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:49pm
post #13 of 20

Wow that is really frustrating and disappointing!! I would have been really angry. Maybe you should try to get word to those ladies somehow that you didn't appreciate that and that you had put a great deal of time into the cake. If they'd wanted to serve it so quickly they should have told you and you'd have made plain sheet cakes. RUDE!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 20

Oh my gosh...I had something similar happen last week. i busted my tail making a cake for the pre-k bake sale (totally did NOT have time) and the lady that came to help me set up.....bought my cake! Only 3 people even saw the cake. i had even a box with a window. website stickers, and a pretty pink and brown bow.

HOWEVER< the director was one of those people that saw it and I am just now typing a proposal for doing a cake for the teacher christmas party. So take heart...the parents know what a fab job you did!

Take care,

Julia

mjoyce7020 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjoyce7020 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:58pm
post #15 of 20

Did the parents say anything??? I mean I would have wanted a picture of my son with the cake!!! It is a memorable moment to have!!

cakesbybert Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 9:08pm
post #16 of 20

Thanks for the kind remarks. I guess I have been on the other side where they haven't cut the cake because it looked so nice - but I always take that as the highest form of compliment. I had one made for church dinner that was never cut but was at the end given away as a door prize.

But is sure was a let down after all the hard work making the Eagle medal and staying up late to complete the cake.

cakesbybert Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 9:14pm
post #17 of 20

mjoyce7020 - luckily they did get a picture with the boy - he was there when I delivered it so Dad was quick to get the picture. Thank goodness

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 9:22pm
post #18 of 20

i totally understand how u feel, but one thing we have to remember is that people don't appreciate cake like we do..

Its an unfortunate thing but I have also had to "guard" cakes like oh yes lets wait till everyone gets here. LOL

We feel like we have spent SO MUCH time on our "art" that everybody should appreciate it.. but to them it is some flour/eggs/butter and frosting

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:13pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

ooh ooh I had a great idea! Well it may not be cost effective, but if you had a color printer at home (and if your business is legal) you could print up business cards w/ a picture of the cake that is at the event and place them by the cake - that way everyone gets to see what the cake looked like AND they can take it to their friends to show them! Talk about advertising! Like they could go up to someone and say "ooh you gotta see this cake that was at this party I went to last week" - then they have your card and the picture of the cake - cool! The only thing would be cost - but if you're doing a small event - say 50 -100 people, it might be worth it to just print a few cards at home! icon_smile.gif Now just make sure your writing is legible over hte picture or place the picture off to the side of the card and your info. on the other side icon_smile.gif

OK, I think this is the greatest idea!! Thanks for sharing! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif
I would've never thought of that one... I have to be legal first though icon_confused.gif
I'm moving out of state so will have to start all over again, and I've heard FL is a pain... but that is a whole other topic! Thanks though!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:42pm
post #20 of 20

they were rude not only to you but also to the family and especially the son.

the son should have been allowed to cut the first piece w/ all cameras and eyes on him

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%