Free Cakes

Decorating By AuntieElle Updated 30 Sep 2007 , 9:57pm by adonisthegreek1

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 3:00am
post #1 of 39

Ummmkay. So today I get a call from the Mother of a friend of my baby sister. I made her daughter a cake last spring for her 18th Birthday as my gift to her because I have known her for years! She was a fixture at my Mom's house. 2 tier Tiffany blue to match the party theme. Mom asked me what she owed me. . .My answer was nothing, it's my gift to her. Fastforward to today. . .Mom calls me and says she needs another cake for her other daughters 16th birthday. Says I make the most awesome cakes and the best part is they are free!!!!!! WHAT???? I politely apologized and said, I only make cakes for friends and family but I am sure she can easily find a shop that makes cakes comparable to mine. She says, 'Well, I don't have the money for that. It's not fair that you made a cake for one of my kids but won't make one for the other." I explained that I don't know this daughter and barely know her. This was a gift for the daughter that I know. She says, "This is a bunch of BS" and hangs up on me???? Then has my sister to call and try to smooth things over! She offered to order a cake and wanted to know if she could have a discount! NO, she already insulted and hung up on me plus, I don't charge for my cakes! Excuse me but when did I become a free cake factory for people I barely know? It took some pretty big icon_eek.gif to even make that call to begin with but to have my DSis call back???? This is the first time this has happened to me! It left me shaking my head trying to figure out where these people get off!

icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

Elle

38 replies
zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 3:50am
post #2 of 39

Oh I am so sorry that you had to deal with such a ungrateful person .If it was me I would have been very gratful that you did one cake for free.BUT you know ,people get use to free things.Once you make a cake for free the recipeant thinks they are getting free cakes for life.
I am surprised at this woman's nerve .After insulting you and hanging up she had the guts to call in a favor.This show's most people have no class.

ChrisfromNOLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisfromNOLA Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 4:11am
post #3 of 39

Wow...that woman sounds crazy. How ridiculous is that !
You were so sweet to her daughter, and she is demanding you to make her other daughter a cake and give it to her for free! Good for you for standing up to her and letting her know you wanted no part of that trainwreck! thumbs_up.gif

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 4:12am
post #4 of 39

Wow! Ouch! I just can't believe people. It sounds like you handled yourself well. Hats off to you. Sometimes people appreciate things more if they have to pay something for it. I hope you don't loose any sleep over her; she isn't worth the worry. Mark it up to experience and choose carefully who you do cakes for free for.

Sionann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sionann Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 8:18am
post #5 of 39

It amazes me how some people just don't seem to know how to act. I would never assume that just because you gave me a cake as a gift that you would be willing to make all the cakes I needed forever and ever and for free!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:34am
post #6 of 39

How Rude! That woman doesn't understand - I'm sure she'd be expecting free cakes for life. good for you for standing up for yourself.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:55am
post #7 of 39

I wonder if she called all the people that gave "GIFTS" to her other daughter and DEMAND that they also give a gift to the second daughter..... SHEEZZEEE!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 39

Just when you think you've heard it all......!! icon_eek.gif

My father-in-law has been in business for over 50 years and has a philosophy that rings so true so often: When you try to do something nice for someone (discount, freebie, anything above-and-beyond), they don't appreciate it......they EXPECT it from that point forward.

I'd love to hear how this woman tells the story to her little friends. How can you twist the story of "She wouldn't give me a free cake ... can you believe that!!!" into something that makes her look justified and/or like the victim? (and you just KNOW that's how it's going to get relayed!)

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 39

Wow! icon_surprised.gif Some people amaze me. Did she really think every cake you would ever make for her would be free? It's so sad you can't do something nice without people expecting the same thing everytime.

At least she came to her senses enough to realize she goofed but still.... a discount? Does she not realize how she just treated you? If it was me, I would politely decline on this one. Maybe it would be better if she left you out of the picture all together.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 39

...and you didn't ask her for a list of all the other birthdays in her family?

mcassada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcassada Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 39

people can be so rude sometimes.

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 4:22pm
post #12 of 39

I think you win the prize for the most outrageous "customer" of the year!

Unbelievable, but yet another reason not to ever, ever give cakes away.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 4:29pm
post #13 of 39

Wow. And these people raise children.
Hopefully she doesn't pass on that trait to the daughters.

What did your sister have to say about it?

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 39

WOW.... really, when I thought I've heard it all! icon_surprised.gif

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:58pm
post #15 of 39

It is amazing what people think they are entitled to...my sister used to run into this alot when she was worked as a personal trainer at the community college gym. She basically got paid when she had clients, her other work in the gym was for class credits. And whereas she didn't mind giving pointers and correcting technics on the fly, she drew the line at putting together work out programs for free. So many people thought that they were entitled because they were in a study group with her, or because they just wanted a "few notes" and they'd bring her coffee or other ridiculous things!

It is really insulting to people to when others all but tell you they aren't willing to pay for your hard work - that somehow your time is theirs to do with as they will. I think you had every right to be insulted!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 6:18pm
post #16 of 39

people are amazing...but to go and cuss at you and say you are not being fair...ha....you may as well bake for everyone then...the nerve .....i wouldnt do it even for free.

nefgaby Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 7:55pm
post #17 of 39

Oh wow, so I saw this thread yesterday and posted, and today...

I called the Mom of one of my son's classmates, this child is having a birthday party Sat, so we had to RSVP (also appologized for doing it so late) Anyway, I don't know this lady, first time our kids are in the same class... anyway, she mentioned my car's license plate (with CC's frame) and can you believe what she said to me... "YOU DON'T HAVE TO BRING A PRESENT, JUST BRING A CAKE FOR ABOUT 25 PEOPLE, THE THEME OF THE PARTY IS SPIDERMAN! OH, AND IF WE RUN OUT OF CAKE THEN I'LL JUST RUN TO WALMART AND GET A SECOND ONE!" icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif
OK, she left me speechless... (I wish I had Indy's ability of coming up with the BEST answers to this situations... wish I had said something back to her!! icon_lol.gif ) So I just replied... "Oh, sorry, we already got John (child's name) a birthday present, see you tomorrow" and hung up.

OK, hope this woman is NOT expecting a cake from me, I'm NOT bringing one! So if she does not go to Walmart today, I guess her child will have NO birthday cake!! The nerve....

And please, you all have to teach me some, I need to learn a couple lines to say back and put this kind of people in their place!! icon_evil.gif

So sorry for hi-jacking this thread, I'm just soooooooo mad! icon_mad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 8:02pm
post #18 of 39

nefgaby, when in doubt or caught unprepared, just laugh out loud ... stop ... then say, "Oh! You were serious?" Then you can always add something along the lines of "Do you know how many DAYS it takes to make a cake like that?"

Works every time.

Good lord, was she WAITING for you to RSVP so she could scam a cake out of you? What if you just ignored the invite and never called? What was she going to do for a cake?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 9:50pm
post #19 of 39

Actually, you handled it quite well. "We already bought his present" and hung up.

"I'm sorry, but I require a 2 week notice for orders."

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 11:37pm
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

I wonder if she called all the people that gave "GIFTS" to her other daughter and DEMAND that they also give a gift to the second daughter..... SHEEZZEEE!

Well said!

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 12:51am
post #21 of 39

Elle--that's just crazy! Well, I'm sure she won't make that mistake with you again, will she? icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

Oh wow, so I saw this thread yesterday and posted, and today...

I called the Mom of one of my son's classmates, this child is having a birthday party Sat, so we had to RSVP (also appologized for doing it so late) Anyway, I don't know this lady, first time our kids are in the same class... anyway, she mentioned my car's license plate (with CC's frame) and can you believe what she said to me... "YOU DON'T HAVE TO BRING A PRESENT, JUST BRING A CAKE FOR ABOUT 25 PEOPLE, THE THEME OF THE PARTY IS SPIDERMAN! OH, AND IF WE RUN OUT OF CAKE THEN I'LL JUST RUN TO WALMART AND GET A SECOND ONE!" icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif
OK, she left me speechless... (I wish I had Indy's ability of coming up with the BEST answers to this situations... wish I had said something back to her!! icon_lol.gif ) So I just replied... "Oh, sorry, we already got John (child's name) a birthday present, see you tomorrow" and hung up.

OK, hope this woman is NOT expecting a cake from me, I'm NOT bringing one! So if she does not go to Walmart today, I guess her child will have NO birthday cake!! The nerve....

And please, you all have to teach me some, I need to learn a couple lines to say back and put this kind of people in their place!! icon_evil.gif

So sorry for hi-jacking this thread, I'm just soooooooo mad! icon_mad.gif

Your response works too! I'll be interested to see how the party goes.... icon_twisted.gificon_wink.gif

nefgaby Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 1:09am
post #22 of 39

Thanks ladies!! Thanks Indy! I'll keep you all posted... it is tomorrow!!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 1:34am
post #23 of 39

This seems to happen all the time. Yes, it has happened to me too. What in the world has happened to people's manners? How can someone demand a free cake. I don't get it. People who do that almost don't deserve a response except "No".

imnamor95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imnamor95 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 1:22am
post #24 of 39

icon_surprised.gif Talk about NERVE!!!! icon_eek.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 1:46am
post #25 of 39

Gaby,

I'm dying to hear what happened!

nefgaby Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 1:50am
post #26 of 39

So, the party was today, the invite said: party from 1pm - 5pm, we showed up at 1:30... Sure thing, NO CAKE!!!! icon_surprised.gif As soon as we arrived, her husband left and came back 30 mins later with a Sam's cake, a half a sheet, nothing special and NOT so good either (I just had to taste it... yuuuk)! No words were exchanged cake related, I just played dumb!!!!
Oh well, I guess I just learned some people just have NO manners! icon_mad.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:41am
post #27 of 39

Evidently she thought you'd feel bad and bring a cake. Guess she found out differently. I can't believe she waited for you to show up and see if you brought a cake.

nefgaby Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:48am
post #28 of 39

I know... icon_surprised.gif

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:57am
post #29 of 39

UNBELIEVEABLE! I can't even get over that!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 3:14am
post #30 of 39

Well I think that's just downright funny! Shows you where nerve got her! I bet her dh was muttering to himself all the way to the store. For this woman use language with you and hang up THEN try and get a cake out of you by going thru your sister?!!? As I recall you don't even know this woman, it was her other daughter you knew thru your mother. Geez, the big brass ones some women are walking around with!! What are they thinking with anyway?

Cakes aren't my livelihood but I'll tell you what, I wouldn't take an order from anyone who gave me any attitude. I've had several women at work ask me about my cakes and, luckily for me, I just don't do what they were wanting (kids character cakes) because they aren't ones I felt would be nice to deal with. I've had a couple of women call me about doing cakes and after a few minutes on the phone I knew I didn't want to deal with them, even if it got me a big order. Life is too short to deal with those people when you don't absolutely have to.

Sorry this happened to you. Try and forget it, it's not worth it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%