Anyone Else Get The Elephant Skin Look With Satinice?

Decorating By catscratchfever Updated 29 Nov 2006 , 7:31pm by SugaryGoodness

catscratchfever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catscratchfever Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 6

Everytime I use it on cake, I get parts of it that look like elephant skin after it's on the cake. It doesn't sit out long, just long enough to roll out, then it goes right on the cake. I'm not sure if it happens in the smoothing process or what. I don't think I'll use it again because of this. It's too expensive to not look perfect! MMF turns out much nicer in my opinion.

5 replies
Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 6

i had this problem too. it is better to work with it in a pretty warm room when you are covering the cake.

SugaryGoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaryGoodness Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 6

Yes! I have had the same problem. I thought it was drying out. I asked the company I bought it from (she also taught me a fondant class) and all she said to me was "it never happens to me"....uuuugh! When I see this happen I just rub a little crisco on it...but it seems like I shouldn't have to do that all the time.

Another problem I have had is on big sheets I get little holes. I don't know if I didn't knead it enough or what.

I hope someone knows the answers!!!

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 6

What kind of holes do you get? i get sometimes ( very often) a bubble inside while rolling it out and thats what makes me mad because i cann't fix it. And i have to start all over again. these bubbles are my enemies icon_mad.gif
i wonder what i do wrong?

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 6

That is why I prefer Fondx, I don't get elephant skin with it. With the Satinice it helps to knead in some Crisco before trying to roll out the fondant. I just coat both hands with a small amount, rub my hands together and then knead the fondant.

SugaryGoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaryGoodness Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 6

I sometimes get those little bubbles. Instead of re-doing it, get a stick pin and go in through the side of it then roll it some more. It will disappear. The trick is to go in through the side so the hole isn't on top

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%