Help! Help! Please Help! Fondant "ribbon"

Decorating By afh0212 Updated 27 Sep 2007 , 12:24am by afh0212

afh0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afh0212 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 10

I cannot figure this out and I am going to go nuts!!! When you do fondant "ribbon" border around the bottom of cakes....how in the world to you get it uniform in width and keep it from stretching?? I tried rolling it up like a fruit roll up, but it stuck together. I have also cut it on the lined template, but I can't get them straight. Oh, and another problem! How do you roll it out long enough to go around a cake such as a 14" round without having to piece it??
I have a wedding cake to do in 10 days and I have to get this worked out! CC'ers....HELP ME OUT PLEASE!!!

9 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 10

Wouldn't hurt to let it sit for a few minutes so it can firm up just a tad, don't make it too thin

hope someone else comes to help also icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 10

Mix a little tylose powder in with your fondant to get rid of some of the stretchiness.

If you haven't got a countertop long enough to roll out the whole length of ribbon, then you'll have to piece it together. It's no big deal.

Ditto everything wgoat5 said, too. thumbs_up.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 10

Also, before you roll it up, dust a little cornstarch on it and it wont stick together. Also, if your using a luster dust that usually will do the trick if you put the tylose in it that DianeLM suggested.

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 10

Here's a quick little chart that you can try.

If you have the following round cakes you would need this much ribbon to fit around the circumference.

6" 20"
8" 27"
10" 33"
12" 39"
14" 45"
16" 52"

I hope this works for you.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 10

I dusted mine with powdered sugar to keep it from sticking and rolled it up like a fruit roll up. I used the wilton roller thing so it was the same width.

wgoat5 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 10

I have to promote something here...

I bought a ribbon cutter from www.CakesBySam.com yes it is a little pricey but WELL worth every penny. You can make 4 uniform cuts of ribbon, however long you need them, sit a clean yard stick lightly on your fondant and roll the cutter and you get nice, uniform perfectly straight ribbons icon_biggrin.gif

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:09pm
post #8 of 10

Here is what I do when I don't want fondant to stretch. It could take a bit of investment but if you work with fondant alot, it's worth it. Buy a large self-healing cutting mat and an Olfa rotary cutter as well as a roll of freezer paper. Roll out your fondant on the shiny side of the freezer paper on top of the cutting mat. Using a long ruler, measure out width of your ribbon strip and using the ruler as a guide, cut out your strip using the sharp cutter, being sure to cut through the freezer paper. Leave a bit of paper at the ends so you can pick up the fondant with the paper. Since you are handling the paper and not the fondant, you can manuever it without stretching. I'll see if I have a pic that I can attach to show you want I mean. If you have more ???, feel free to pm me. The pics are backwards, but you can get the idea, I hope! These pics are for a cake box tutorial I put together so, I didn't leave any paper at the ends.
LL
LL

wgoat5 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 10

http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=search&substring=ribbon+cutter

Here is the ribbon cutter I was talking about. It is like a 4 blade pizza cutter....cuts a lot better then the wilton cutter (I promise I know, I have a wilton cutter, and it's gathering dust now LOL)

afh0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afh0212 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:24am
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone! I knew you CC'ers could help me out! Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all meet in one place sometime and trade secrets and tips!!! It would be FABULOUS!!!!
Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%