Flavored Bc Icing

Baking By leily Updated 31 Jul 2005 , 12:15pm by ivanabacowboy

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 2:38am
post #1 of 7

I am wanting to flavor my Wilton BC icing recipe. I am planning on using LorAnn oils. Do I need to still add the vanilla, or can i just replace the vanilla with the oil? Thanks for any advice, suggestions.

6 replies
gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 2:45am
post #2 of 7

I would taste test without the vanilla and with the vanilla and see what you think.

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 2:47am
post #3 of 7

When I use Loranns oils to flavor my buttercream, I do not use the vanilla. I just use the oils, but I think it just depends on your taste.

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 2:48am
post #4 of 7

The oils are a concentrated flavor so use it sparinly. Only add a little at a time.

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 2:50am
post #5 of 7

Very good point gma. The first time I used the oils, I put too much in and it made my icing bitter. It just takes a couple drops of the oils since they are concentrated.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 3:23am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the advice, I use the flavorings when making candy, but haven't played with them in cakes and icing. Those are good points i'll keep in mind. I'm off to make the icing now.

ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 7

So you can use candy oil flavorings in cakes and icings? I never thought about that! Yes I know they are stronger because I have used them in candy before. I have two fairly good cake and candy supply shops near me in addition to the chain stuff like Michaels. And they carry many different flavors that it is hard to find extracts in. So many possibilities.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%