Cake Always Sticking On Bottom Of Pan....

Decorating By abed Updated 27 Sep 2007 , 9:18pm by vdrsolo

abed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abed Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 17

Everytime I bake, the cake, the center bottom part sticks to the pan, even though I use a cooking spray and let it cool for like 10 minutes, it still sticks. Any solutions to this???

16 replies
vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 17

are you just using cooking spray and no flour??

Make up some pan grease with flour, shortening, and oil.

Also, for larger cakes, I cut out a piece of parchment for added security (coating both the pan and top of parchment with pan grease)

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 17

Parchment paper.

Lidunka25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lidunka25 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 17

Hallo there, I am always using oil and on it i put cut ring or square (whatever pan I have) of wax paper. I use stripes on sides too. Yes it take 5 minutes of your life, but the cake is never ever stuck icon_smile.gif

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 17

I have never had a problem with cakes sticking to a pan when I use a pastry brush to brush on crisco, and then flour. You can always try to cut parchment paper to fit the inside of the pan, and then brush a thin layer of crisco onto the bottom of the pan and lay the cut out piece of parchment paper on top of the crisco. This method is SURE to work!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 17

I use with Wilton's cake release (I know, on the pricey side but sometimes, convenience is worth an extra few $$) or pan grease (has flour in it) that I buy at my local supply store - no parchment. Works great for me.

penster1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penster1 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 17

Waxed paper, that's the key!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 17

I always use the cake release by Wilton. Works like a charm!

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 17

They make a new spray with flour in it... Pam makes one and the other one is Bakers Joy... I love em both. Never had a problem with cakes sticking... (knocking on wood)

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 17

Homemade pan grease works very well, also.

Mix equal parts: oil, flour and Crisco

HTH

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 17

Funny you ask this! I just read a blog spot by choc-a-holic regarding using parchment paper and lining your cake pans. I'm posting it here because this is very helpful information.

Sunday, April 23, 2006
Parchment Paper.. the baker's security blanket!
As per Wikipedia...

Cooking parchment (also parchment paper, kitchen parchment, greaseproof paper and cooking paper) refers to a form of silicone-impregnated paper used as a substitute for parchment in cooking. The silicone renders it grease- and moisture-resistant as well as relatively heat-resistant. A common use is to eliminate the need to grease cookie sheets and the like allowing very rapid turn-around of batches of cookies in a commercial bakery. It can also be folded to make moisture-proof packages in which food items are cooked or steamed.

A few things I've learned about cooking parchment

1. Use it. Use it every time. It's SOOO not worth taking the chance that you needed it and didn't use it. Just use it!

2. It's washable and re-useable... many, many times. I just wash mine in the sink with the other dishes and rinse well. Make sure you dry it flat 'cause curled edges are no fun.

3. Store them IN YOUR PANS!!! You'll never have to search for it, it's always stored flat and safe, and nobody needs ANOTHER storage thingie in their kitchen.

4. Buy a roll, take some time while watching TV one evening and just cut one out for EVERY pan you own. Repeat every couple of years, or when you buy a new pan! The shape should be SLIGHTLY smaller than the base of your pan (you don't want it up the sides at all... go back & trim if necessary.)

5. Do not replace it with waxed paper. Especially when using Sugarveil (but that's another coversation!) Waxed paper looks cheaper, but you can't re-use it. Waxed paper is just that... waxed. Do you REALLY want to add WAX to your cake ingredients?

6. Did I mention you should REALLY use it?!? LOL For most cakes, just the bottom is fine (I never bother with using it on the sides of a cake)

7. TO USE PARCHMENT:
...a) grease your pan however you like.
...b) insert parchment into base.
...c) Grease the parchment.
...d) Flour the whole thing (unless you're using a grease with flour in it)
...e) Fill as usual.
...f) Sing the praises of Choc while releasing your cake from the pan without trouble.
...g) repeat.

8. If you're baking another batch of cake right away, wipe off any crumbs and re-use it. You don't have to wash it if it's going right back into the oven (you don't want the water there anyhow) HOWEVER... please don't store it away un-washed... ICK!!! LOL

You can also use it to roll out pastry, bake cookies on... it's a wonderful thing!

Her blog is very information. Here's a link to it in case you want to read her other blogs http://thebusinessofcake.blogspot.com/

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:40pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

Parchment paper.

This is my solution too. I just put it on the bottom and never ever have had a problem.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 6:09pm
post #13 of 17

I use CK Brand "Pan Grease"; if I'm out of that, then Wilton Cake Release; if I'm out of that I use just plain Crisco. Baking strips and 325 degrees.

I haven't floured cake pans in over 25 years.

I don't let the cake cool in the pan any length of time. My cakes go from the oven to being trimmed to being flipped on the cooling rack within a 3-5 minute time span. No special reason except I just don't have time to sit around and watch cakes cool in a pan. (and in my past experience,letting them cool in the pan makes them a little on the soggy side .... the steam from the bottom of the hot cake has no where to go except right back into the cake. This used to cause my cakes to stick. Then I figured it out and stopped doing it.)

My cakes now never stick.

abed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abed Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 10:07pm
post #14 of 17

thank you for all your helpful replies. But why do you have to put flour on top of a cooking spray, doesn't that defeat the purpose? And I will difinitely use parchment paper from now on.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 8:35pm
post #15 of 17

Waxed paper. Always. But I might switch to parchment. Washable and reusable???? icon_surprised.gif I'm sold!!

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 8:39pm
post #16 of 17

I use a pan release. But I have found with some cakes that are more moist, i.e. Spice cake, that if I try and take them from the pan too soon, it will stick. And if I take it too late, they will stick also. Make sure you are baking the cakes long enough. Because if they aren't fully baked, they will stick to the bottom. I've learned this the hard way. icon_redface.gif My poor little cakes...

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 9:18pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdica

I use a pan release. But I have found with some cakes that are more moist, i.e. Spice cake, that if I try and take them from the pan too soon, it will stick. And if I take it too late, they will stick also. Make sure you are baking the cakes long enough. Because if they aren't fully baked, they will stick to the bottom. I've learned this the hard way. icon_redface.gif My poor little cakes...

Use parchment paper along with pan grease, that's what I do for my larger cakes and my more "tender" cakes such as carrot, italian cream, red velvet, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%