I Need A Pep Talk

Decorating By 2yummy Updated 29 Nov 2006 , 12:50pm by janbabe

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 19

I just started cake decorating this year. I took all three Wilton courses. I am making paid 2 cakes this weekend. One for Saturday and one for Sunday. Of course each cake I make is a new adventure because I am so new at this. I AM SO NERVOUS!! What was I thinking!! I need some encouragement and someone to tell me I can do it. icon_redface.gif

18 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:03am
post #2 of 19

Well...fromlooking at your cakes you have nothing to be worried about! I love the black and white cake!

Go get 'em! thumbs_up.gif

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:12am
post #3 of 19

How exciting. I only "graduated" from the three Wilton courses back in May, and have filled over 40 orders so far. It is exciting, scary, and nervewracking all at once, but once you get that "high" from a happy customer, you are hooked.

Good luck to you and post pictures! icon_lol.gif

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:13am
post #4 of 19

I'm know for being what my daughter calls brutally honest. So, believe me when I tell you that your cakes are geat. you have nothing to be nervous about. Go ahead & make those beautiful cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:50am
post #5 of 19

Thanks for the encouragement. I accidentally posted this twice. Opps. Rsaun, I can't believe you have done 40 cakes since May, WOW!!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:55am
post #6 of 19

Wel that's funny because I only posted once and it isn't here anymore. icon_biggrin.gif
I just wanted to tell you that YOU CAN DO IT! Practice and then practice some more. Don't limit yourself to just Wilton classes. There are other instructors out there and each one has their own style or way of doing things. If you take a class and come away with just one great idea the class has more than paid for itself. Look into your local adult education or recreation center for cake classes.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:02am
post #7 of 19

I have been doing cakes for years and let me tell you each cake is still a new adventure for me. If BC is in your veins it will stay that way. That is when you will do your best work. You will be exhausted from being under stress but still you won't know when to stop putting that "one more touch" on it or you may get up in the middle of the night just to flip on the light for another look to see if you did a good job. I still do all of this and when I stop is when I will retire my offset spatula!!!!

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:03am
post #8 of 19

You go Girl!!! I love your cake with the baby-so sweet!!! Don't be nervous-you can do it!!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:24am
post #9 of 19

stay positive and you'll be just fine. You can do it! thumbs_up.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 4:49am
post #10 of 19

relax, i told you you will do just fine, your decorating is great, so that shouldn't worry you, perhaps it is because you have 2 cakes to do. Just make sure you get all the little things done first, covering the boards, making the icing, planning the design etc. then the making of the cake can go even smoother.

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:02am
post #11 of 19

I agree with dodibug. After looking at your pictures, you have nothing to worry about. Just remember to "breath".

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:03am
post #12 of 19

Your cakes are lovely and I think you will do just fine! Keep relaxed and remember we are here all hours of the day and night should you need help!! thumbs_up.gif
Jane

prettysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettysweet Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:05am
post #13 of 19

Relax!!!! Your cakes are really good. I have your chocolate cake with pink roses and cornelli lace in my favorites already. There are so many really super jobs in your pictures. Relax and enjoy.

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 9:48am
post #14 of 19

We are all here for you.... but you have nothing to worry about your cakes are great!!!

ValH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValH Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 10:03am
post #15 of 19

icon_smile.gif Of course you can do it. It's only because they are "official" cakes you are panicking. Your gallery cakes are great. Your "official" cakes will be great too. Don't worry, take a deep breath, don't stress you'll be fine.

Val

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 10:16am
post #16 of 19

Hands down you can do it!! Just look at all your fabulous cakes. Sheesh! this should be a breeze for you icon_smile.gif Don't forget to post the pics when you get the cakes made. And congratulations on getting the paid cake orders icon_biggrin.gif

Lazy_Susan

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 10:37am
post #17 of 19

I agree with everyone else. Your cakes are great and your only panicing because these are your first big ones. I have done several for family and friends. Since I completed wilton courses I feel good about my decorating. But I have to say if it were not for the AWESOME cake central friends I would have folded long before now. If I have any ?? they get answered and the moral support is AWESOME thumbs_up.gif We are here for you. I do not know all the answers by far but any help I can give I will icon_biggrin.gif And like AlamoSweets said (every cake is an new adventure) that is exactly how I feel. Stressed icon_cry.gif ya sometimes going into the room over and over to check out your newest creation after completion(just to check out how great it looks) Done that thumbs_up.gif Be proud hold your head HIGH. Your cakes are GREAT thumbs_up.gif If I were to give any tips they would be allow for screw ups. I had 6 cakes including my DD castle cake. I allowed myself some screw up time incase I needed to rebake or something. Glad I did. Not saying you would have a problem just think ahead. Do prep ahead as much as you can. Oh and BREATH that is another one someone else said thumbs_up.gif I try to make myself get away from the cakes every so often and BREATH. It helps ME. My Kids always interupt for something so I go take care of the crisis and come back with new eyes thumbs_up.gif I want to see those AWESOME cakes as soon as you can post them.

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 10:48am
post #18 of 19

You will do fantastic!! I cant believe you haven"t made money off your cakes as pieces of art!! Don"t worry, you have nothing to fear!! It will all go smoothly and your customers will love the cakes you make for them! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:50pm
post #19 of 19

Your cake really are lovely, you have plenty of talent and I'm sure you will have no problem is doing uour first 2 paid cakes.
The first couple of paying orders are quite scary, but I still get that scary feeling when I get an order in (not that I've done that many, about 12 orders this year) and the feeling doesn't really go until the cake is done and gone and you hear from the client that the cake was wonderful!!

Please post pics when you have done

cheers
Jan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%