Need Help With Pricing This Cake

Decorating By mamakau Updated 28 Nov 2006 , 11:51pm by mamakau

mamakau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamakau Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 5

What would you charge for a cake like this? It's an 8" 2 layer chocolate cake, fillings vary---strawberry, chocolate mousse, whipped ganache; and covered in ganache and decorated with pirouline cookies and chocolate dipped strawberries.

My friend paid $45 for this cake. I was going to give it to her for free, but she wanted to pay. So I'm worried that she paid way too much, and I want to try and avoid this issue in the future by having a set price.
Thank you!
LL

4 replies
nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 5

mmm... how pretty!! I always multiply my cost by 4, and by cost I mean everything down to a % of your electric bill. If you have too much detail into the decorations then I would add a surcharge, in this case maybe for the chocolate dipped straberries. HTH

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 5

Wow that cake sounds yummy! I'm not sure about the price but I would think it cost you quite a bit to make it, especially since strawberries are out of season. Also chocolate is not cheap as we all know. So depending on what it cost you to make it you would have to go from there. Just mho

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 5

I wouldn't think twice about paying $45 for that cake! There is a lot of work, and lots of wonderful fillings...if you can get that price, GO FOR IT!

mamakau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamakau Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all! You're right about the strawberries being out of season, right now they cost about $5 for one container, and there's usually a couple no-goods in each container, so I buy 2. And the Pirouette cookies are sooo expensive, $8 for one container ($6 on sale), and I use two containers for each cake.

Hmmm, okay, I think I feel better about her paying that much. Thanks again icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%