Okay, Where In The World Do I Begin With This Cake?

Decorating By cakesbyamym Updated 29 Nov 2006 , 3:49am by Zmama

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 16

A referral customer emailed this photo to me today. I have made sculpted cakes, but never anything like this. Where in the world do I begin? I really need help with this one ya'll...

Amy
LL

15 replies
cakesbyamym Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 16

thumb in...not up like I'd described previously...
LL

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 16

i have never done anything like this but maybe you can make the hand out of rice krispies. good luck!!!

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 16

Sorry can't help you with how to make the cake, but have you checked in the gallery I know I have seen this cake, but can't remember who made it. Also Duff made one on Ace of Cakes maybe you can check the food network site. I think he used modeling chocolate for the hand.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 16

Yes, neni is right. Duff made a cake like this but the fist is made of modeling chocolate. I can't see how you could do this easily with cake. I would do candy clay or fondant or something along those lines. The cake is really cute though!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 16

actually that photo she sent IS Duff's cake
(#34 in the Fun Stuff gallery)

so, you might try an email to them.

big trick here is the internal support the holds up then hand and guitar --- which those who watch Ace of Cakes know Duff loves to build out of welded copper tubing.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 16

OMG and don't forget the photo. And tutorial and and and

cakesbyamym Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 16

I appreciate all of your help everyone. I haven't responded to her email yet. I may end up turning this one down. I don't know that I could do it, and I would rather be honest with her in that fact, than to have a disappointed or angry customer. The cake isn't needed until 12/16, so I may try to make one this weekend. We'll see...in the meantime, I'm going to do a search...

Amy

BklynSuze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BklynSuze Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 11:42pm
post #9 of 16

the one that was posted here recently was done with Duff's blessing..the cc'er e-mailed him and asked if it would be ok and he obliged..On hers she had said she found a fake hand at a party store to use on the fist of rock cake
If you did that then you could probably get a chocolate mold of a guitar to add to the top of the fist

I was researching guitars online this past week because I have an acoustic guitar cake to do and found an image from a site that sells the guitar cutter...That one I think they cut then hand painted to add detail to the chocolate guitar

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:46am
post #10 of 16

Amy I am laughing like crazy because I just made that cake for my sons birthday last month. He is in a heavy metal band called "Lowki" I emailed Duff and asked him to walk me through that cake, his assistant Sherry molded the fist of white chocolate clay and then airbrushed it. I didn't have the confidence in my ability to model it but I found a rubber hand at Halloween and glued the fingers down. The flames are fondant just colored yellow and painted with orange and red color. I molded the guitar of chocolate fondant although it doesn't show well in the photo. I covered the cake in Pettinice chocolate fondant. Printed out the heavy metal band logos on my printer, cut them to size and made gumpaste sections to put them on. I dried the gumpaste on the side of a 10" styrofoam dummy so they would dry to the curve of the actual 10" cake. I glued the paper logos on to the gumpaste with clear corn syrup thinned a bit with water, just paint it on thinly to the dried gumpaste, attach the logo and smooth. I attached them to the cake with full strength corn syrup just dabbed here and there on the fondant. I have a wedding cake separator set with lucite center poles, I used one of those to hold up the hand. Threatened my son if he didn't return it too. I used a round cookie cutter the same dimension as the lucite rod, cut a hole in the center of the cake, inserted the pole and slid the hand over the pole. Oh, and I found a leather wrist strap with metal studs at the party shop too, it just fit perfectly around the hand. Click on the photo to enlarge so you can see the details close up.
Amy DON'T turn this order down, this is the most fun I have had making a cake in a long time. You can probably still find a hand at a costume shop what with New Years coming up. Son Josh's response when he saw this cake "NO WAY Mom, that is the coolest cake you have ever made!"
LL

ShirleyW Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:49am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynSuze

the one that was posted here recently was done with Duff's blessing..the cc'er e-mailed him and asked if it would be ok and he obliged..On hers she had said she found a fake hand at a party store to use on the fist of rock cake
If you did that then you could probably get a chocolate mold of a guitar to add to the top of the fist

I was researching guitars online this past week because I have an acoustic guitar cake to do and found an image from a site that sells the guitar cutter...That one I think they cut then hand painted to add detail to the chocolate guitar

That was me! icon_biggrin.gif

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:51am
post #12 of 16

I don't know if it would work but what about using a rubber glove as a mould? Position the fingers how you want and pour in chocolate? When hard peel off the glove?

I don't know, just an idea.

cakesbyamym Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:21am
post #13 of 16

Shirley, if you don't mind, I will be emailing you for help...and probably mental help...LOL...if I give this a shot. I about had a cow when I went to Charm City Cakes to find the cake that Duff did LIKE this one, and it WAS this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy Cow!!! LOL. I LOVE the cake that you did for your son! Awesome job!!! The hand was really all that I was worried about, since she decided to opt out the guitar, and added in the spike wrist band. Do you really think that I can do this? God help, I'm freaking knowing that this is DUFF's cake!!! Yowza!!! LOL.

THANKS!!!
Amy

ShirleyW Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:39am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyamym

Shirley, if you don't mind, I will be emailing you for help...and probably mental help...LOL...if I give this a shot. I about had a cow when I went to Charm City Cakes to find the cake that Duff did LIKE this one, and it WAS this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy Cow!!! LOL. I LOVE the cake that you did for your son! Awesome job!!! The hand was really all that I was worried about, since she decided to opt out the guitar, and added in the spike wrist band. Do you really think that I can do this? God help, I'm freaking knowing that this is DUFF's cake!!! Yowza!!! LOL.

THANKS!!!
Amy

You are more than welcome to contact me to hold your hand through this. Or, you could email Duff. He was really sweet, said he was more than happy to give me permission to use his idea and to post the photo of my cake on the forum. He added that if I needed any help to feel free to email or call them. You know they show this cake being made on the Ace of cakes show too, do you know anyone who might have taped or Tivo'd it? I sent Duff a picture of the finished cake and got an email back from Mary Alice saying they were impressed, and that it looked really, really cool. And she added that Josh had a cool mom too. Made me laugh because I hate heavy metal music, but I love Josh so there you go! icon_biggrin.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 3:12am
post #15 of 16

For the hand you can just get a flange and pipe. Screw the flange to the board and screw the pipe into it and you have internal structure.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 3:49am
post #16 of 16

Actually, this would be similar to making a lot of "anatomy" cakes. If you look there you can find a LOT of ways to get it rolling.

Just an idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%