Help! Cupcakes Shrinking

Decorating By NoahLili Updated 26 Sep 2007 , 10:35pm by NoahLili

NoahLili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoahLili Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 19

I just used my favorite white cake recipe (scratch) to make cupcakes and they all are shrinking as they cool! My cakes do this as well, but I never thought of it happening with my cupcakes. Now I can't use any of them. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or is it just the recipe? Also, can you reccommend another scratch recipe for cupcakes? I need to make another batch ASAP. Thanks!

18 replies
texasseegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasseegirl Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 19

I don't have any suggestions for you, but I have this happen sometimes too and I'm curious what others have to say.

Can you make them look normal again by making a big swirl with your icing on top or have they shrunk too much?

NoahLili Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 19

They have shrunk way too much and have pulled away from the paper holders.

tasha27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasha27 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 19

I don't have any answers for you as this has not happened to me but heres a bump for you

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 19

Sounds like they are being overbaked. Try taking them out of the pan sooner so the residual heat doesn't continue cooking them. Maybe try turning your oven down a little too.

NoahLili Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 19

I'll try taking them out sooner and lowering the oven temp. They just don't seem overcooked to me. They are delicioes and still so moist. My DH thinks so as well. He won't stop eating them.

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 19

I wouldn't change your recipe...just make the time/oven adjustments.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 19

I agree with DianaMarieMTV. Sounds like overbaking. It also sounds like you may be filling the cups too much and the cupcakes are collapsing on themselves as they cool.

NoahLili Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks for the advice!! I'll try again. Keep your fingers crossed.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 19

Did you spray the cupcake liners with cake release (Baker's Joy, Pam, etc) before filling with batter? The only time my cupcakes ever shrank and pulled away from the liners is when I sprayed.

sugarlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlove Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:18pm
post #11 of 19

Post the recipe you are using some scratch recipes are more prone to shrinkage than other. A recipe will better assist with giving suggestions for modifications.

NoahLili Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:29pm
post #12 of 19

No, I did not spray liners. Here's the recipe:

3 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup milk
8 large egg whites

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 9-by-2-inch round cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper rounds. Butter parchment, and dust with flour, tapping out excess; set aside.
Into a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in three parts, alternating with milk and beginning and ending with flour; beat until just combined. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; set aside.
In the clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites on low speed until foamy. With mixer running, gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar; beat on high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 4 minutes. Do not overbeat. Gently fold a third of the egg-white mixture into the butter-flour mixture until combined. Gently fold in remaining whites.
Divide batter evenly between prepared pans, smoothing with an offset spatula. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until cakes are golden brown and a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool 20 minutes. Invert cakes onto rack; peel off parchment. Reinvert cakes, and let them cool completely, top sides up.

sugarlove Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:41pm
post #13 of 19

It could be you are over beating your whites. I would add about 1/2t-1t of cream of tarter to the white to prevent them from being over mixed. Also, try not to over back them.

sugarlove Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:45pm
post #14 of 19

I just reread your post baking time 30-35 minutes would be too long for cupcakes. They should be done around 15 minutes.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:47pm
post #15 of 19

I've never baked a cupcake recipe longer than 20 mins, sounds like bake time may be your culprit.

NoahLili Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:50pm
post #16 of 19

I did add cream of tarter to my egg white and I only baked them for 15 minutes........

gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:57pm
post #17 of 19

if you are using that much eggwhite in the mix you are going to get alot of air in there while you are cooking. I would adjust temp and time and maybe take out one or two eggwhites, give it a trial run.
hope this helps

sugarlove Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:57pm
post #18 of 19

post this question and your recipe on the baking911.com forum and maybe Sarah Phillips or one of the pastry chefs maybe able to provide a better solution.

NoahLili Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 10:35pm
post #19 of 19

I'll try baking911.com....haven't been on there yet...Thanks for all your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%