Fall Leaves...which Is Easier To Make??

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 26 Sep 2007 , 2:21pm by projectqueen

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make Fall leaves for a birthday cake in a few weeks.Would it just be easier to cut out fondant, let it dry and airbrush it....mix the fondant to marble the colors and then cut them out....or make candy melt leaves on the back of a plastic leaf??

What do you all think!! icon_wink.gif

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 5

I'm getting ready to make some myself, and am planning on doing several colors of fondant, and have some dust ready for coloring the edges. I was planning to use various sizes of 'silk' leaves to press veining into the leaves.

hmmm... though I can see using the melts and maybe having some of the leaves curled up?

Good luck! can't wait to see what you come up with! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 5

Rice/wafer paper is the easiest of all. Run them through your edible ink printer if you have one, or trace a leaf and color it with food color.

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 5

Out of your options, I would do the fondant and airbrush idea. I think that would be the quickest out of your options.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 5

I did a bunch last year and what I did was make several batches of different colored fondant - yellow, green, orange, etc. and I used leaf cookie cutters in different sizes and shapes to cut them out. I sort of curled them up in places and put them over different shaped things to dry so they looked more natural than just flat leaves.

Once they were dry, I used petal dusts and lustre dusts to add different colors to them - I used green petal dust in places on the orange leaves, etc.

They came out really cool looking, IMO, and went pretty fast.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%