Been Given Great Opportunity But Need Advice

Business By rshippo Updated 3 Dec 2006 , 2:03am by playingwithsugar

rshippo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rshippo Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 6

Hi
I have just come back from lunch at a local resturant, where through a conversation with the owner she has asked me to make her desserts for a 30 person function on sat. No problem I can make what she wants the deal is I go in on sat make them up they cook and serve to order.
She also offered that I can use her kitchen to make cakes etc if I needed.
So if I do well I could be solving alot of my problems at one time.
Now here is the problem she said she would pay me my hourly wage. What should that be?? I have only been here a 5 months have not worked anywhere so am not sure of an hourly wage. In oz I got $19 per hour but am sure the rates here are alot less. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot one way or another. So any idea would be good.
By the way it is in small town louisiana.

5 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 6

The exchange rate from $19 AUD to USD would be about $15, so I would suggest you ask for this as your starting/negotiating price, then decide on how much you would be willing to settle for.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 6

You may want to consider a contract order -- so many $$ for so many desserts until you can figure out if you and her work well together. You might also want to consider a bartering situation where you make desserts for her and in return she lets you use the kitchen for your own projects without charge. It's something to think about anyway.

rshippo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rshippo Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 6

Hi
Thanks for the answers, it helped alot. I went in today made the desserts and it went well, also she has hired me to do all her desserts for functions, and she is booked until mardi gras. Plus I can use her kitchen when I need it. The owner really isn;t into to desserts so it looks like I am going to be given quite a large leash to run with.
Also she is telling everyone I am her new pastry chef and as it is small town this means my name will get out more quickly which can only be a benefit for when I set up on my own.
Well just wanted to post an update.
Thanks again

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshippo

Hi
Thanks for the answers, it helped alot. I went in today made the desserts and it went well, also she has hired me to do all her desserts for functions, and she is booked until mardi gras. Plus I can use her kitchen when I need it. The owner really isn;t into to desserts so it looks like I am going to be given quite a large leash to run with.
Also she is telling everyone I am her new pastry chef and as it is small town this means my name will get out more quickly which can only be a benefit for when I set up on my own.
Well just wanted to post an update.
Thanks again

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on this opportunity! You are so very fortunate!

12.50 to 15.00 USD is not unreasonable to ask for as a salary especially as a pastry chef! and if you are getting the opportunity to make your own cakes, then by all means! you come out winning no matter how you slice it!! icon_lol.gif

It sounds like you fell into a GREAT working relationship there! thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 2:03am
post #6 of 6

Congratulations!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%