Puppy

Lounge By finnox Updated 4 Dec 2006 , 4:40am by finnox

finnox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnox Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 27

I wanted to know if you could have any puppy which one would you have. Also what kind of cats or puppy do you have. I am wanting another animal. Have two cats and two dogs but the dogs live outside. I want one to live inside but the worry of house breaking is what gets me.

26 replies
jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 27

I had a miniature dachshund. She was super easy to house train and she loved cats. The only problem is that she didn't like children, but then again she was never around children until she was middle aged. Any hound is going to be a smart dog, but they love to be outside too.

Poodles are supposed to be smart and easy to train, but they are not very cute in my opinion.

I want an English Bulldog but they are sooooo expensive.

Go to the AKC website and look up some info on different dogs.

finnox Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 27

Im dont like poodles either. I have a toddler and I have heard that dachshonds arnt good for small children because of there long backs and they might hurt them. I love the english bulldog as well they are very smart and easy adaptable dogs but like you said they are expensive and there are to many people right not that are scamming people for those types of dogs. I have a Staffordshire terrier and a pekingese. My pekingese is my baby have had him since 6 weeks old and he lived in our house for many years but when we moved he had problems and was so worried that he would get introuble for going to the bathroom he held himself for over 2 days. I tried everything he was orinigally pee pad trained I tried that when I moved here as well as letting him go outside but he was just to scared to it came down to him having to live outside so that way he wouldnt hurt himself by not going potty.

luvincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvincake Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:23am
post #4 of 27

Shepards are real good with kids. And collies are also. I have 6 dogs and each one we got as a puppy. As a matter of fact our newest additions are puppies as well.

I have a long haired daschund, And she is very loving towards any kid around. We have a new niece in the family and when she is over, my dashund is the first to get to her when my niece cries. Of course I have had for 10 years and I bottle fed her.

I also have a collie, shepard mix. Again Wonderful with children. Kind of shy at first though. Another one that I have is a Chow mixed with Golden Retriever. He is the attention hound. He has to be center stage. And the last 3 are Catahula (spelling?). The are what's called a herding dog. Again very loving. All of them were easily potty trained. But I stay home all day everyday, so I had more time to invest in it. We have had the 2 puppies for a month now and they were potty trained within 3 days.

I fully believe that a dogs disposition is based on their humans disposition. And how their human treats them. This is just my own opinion though. I mean no offense to anyone with that statement.

Ann

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 12:32am
post #5 of 27

I'd get a miniature poodle again, if the codes allowed it in NC (a big no-no for in-home baking for resale)

wouldn't do the fancy show cut (oh puhleeze how ridiculous!) just plain simple "puppy cut" -- short buzz all over w/ bit extra on top of head.

and they are so much fun, so loving, so silly, good w/ just about anybody....love to please you and

TOO smart for their own good sometimes --- which makes them very easily trained.

Our family had Scamp (now how's that for a poodle name -- let's just say it fit him to a T) for 14 years with no regrets and a ton of stories to tell. We had to banish the words "chicken" and "popcorn" from the house.....if you said either, he came running for his share!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:28am
post #6 of 27

My baby is a Maltese dog. I don't like the long hair so it's always short and it's easier to care of.

My biggest dream is to have a Maine coon cat. It's cat that is bigger than my doggie!!!! sigh.... one day.....

finnox Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:43am
post #7 of 27

I love cats and maine coons are huge. My friend has one and its heavier then my daughter.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 4:34am
post #8 of 27

My suggestion is do you research to find one that will best suit your lifestyle, living space, and make yourself aware of medical conditions pure breed dogs may have.

Being in this field since 91 has taught me alot! The best dog, is the one that fits you. Watch Westminster, go to a local dog show. They are packed with info and often the breeders at shows live to tell people about their breed.

The best time to get a dog is about Feb.---They look so good under the tree with the red bow but often by Feb. they are in the local shelter looking for a home. icon_cry.gif

If you have any questions about a specific breed and the problems they might have --PM me. I have seen them all icon_lol.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 4:51am
post #9 of 27

A West Highland Terrier ( white Scotty or Westie)

They have the most even temperment, they are so loving and incredibly smart. My daughter has Fred, 5 years old and he is my sweetheart, I house and pet sit for them when they go away and Fred turns inside out every time I walk in the door, he is so happy to see me. The feeling is mutual too.

finnox Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:00am
post #10 of 27

I will take Newtodecorating up on her offer and PM her when I am done with my test. Yes I am in CC while I am in the middle of a timed test I just cant help it. I also love the westies they are so beautiful.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:17am
post #11 of 27

What? No cheers for Coonhounds?!

Can you tell that I LOVE mine? He's a great house dog, and really sweet.
We also have an orange tabby cat. Someday I would like to look into those giant Maine Coon cats or a Ragdoll, but I love to help out the rescue organizations and adopt from them.

There are soooo soo many animals in shelters that need homes. Even if you adopt a baby from a shelter, you're still helping.

I believe that MOST dogs are basically what you train them to be, like how you'll see a crazy mean Golden Retriever, or a super-sweet Pit Bull. (or a QUIET hound!). This is what makes it hard to "choose" an animal. If you're willing and able to put in the work even when it's challenging, both you and your pet will be happier down the road.

If you choose to go with a breeder, be sure to do LOTS of research on them too.

finnox Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:38am
post #12 of 27

I dont know what a coonhound is. Or maybe I do and just cant think right now just finished a 3 hour long test for business law. I love all dogs as well as animals. I have had a pet minature deer which cost an arm and a leg but he was our baby till we had or baby and then We could no longer let him stay in the house so we gave him to a special exotic pet shop but she isnt going to sell him she has monkey and tigers for her pets and we really wanted a place where people can enjoy him and see how friendly a deer really can be. He was just like a dog would like you in the face and come to you and want to be pet. She is also going to breed him as well which is what we want. So he is getting everything we couldnt offer right now with our daughter. But we do want a puppy that can grow up with our daughter as her pet and it would be one of her christmas presents that she will thank us for later.

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 6:13am
post #13 of 27

We have a Bull Mastiff puppy. Housebroke in 4 days, I watched him like a hawk and when he started sniffing around, out we went. If he went potty outside he immediately got a treat. No punishments for accidents, just cleaned them up very well.

We love our puppy and he loves our kids to death. He cries when they leave for school. He sleeps in a crate at night and for naps. I only shut the door to the crate when I go to bed.

We just installed a doggie door because he doesn't bark so he couldn't tell us he needed to go out. Tried a bell on the doorknob, but he rang that thing 20+ hours a day. He loves the doggie door and uses it all the time.

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 6:41am
post #14 of 27

If I can get a puppy it will be a labrador. Love them!!

Now 3 Jack Russels.................

and no garden!! icon_cry.gif

Now that I think about it, less work for me! icon_lol.gif

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 5:51am
post #15 of 27

I have a chihuahua. He's got a little attitude but we wouldn't have it any other way. Any dog will be good with children as long as you start them as a puppy with small children. My chi has been raised with my kids. They are 4 and 2. The chi is 1. Like the above person stated, don't punish your dog for going potty inside. Just ignore them when they make a mess and they'll get the message. Good luck in finding one just right for you.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 7:04am
post #16 of 27

I don't have any dogs (not home enough), but a good friend has had Bull Mastiffs for as long as I have known her. They're my favorite of the large breeds, although I grew up with Collies.

I currently have two cats, both from rescue organizations. One is a Bengal and the other is a huge gray domestic shorthair. They are definitely my babies.

RedPanda

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 11:59pm
post #17 of 27

we have had a puppy for about 3 weeks. We have a pitbull that was given to us when she was 5.5 weeks (my friend got her and then couldn't keep her) I have had pits more than a few times in my life and they were never vicious or mean although of course I have seen some.

I also believe that dogs are how u trained them to be. The vet actually told me (the other day) "this breed of dog, if raised up with children is not normally aggressive, however please tell the kids to not mess with her food while she is eating, she will growl and possibly bite" LOL I started laughing and said yea don't mess with my food either..

but seriously though..she is a joy to have and we ignore her when she messes on the floor. she spends alot of time outside though. my husband thinks dogs belong outside and i think they belong inside so i alternate ( i can get away with it now because she is so young

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 12:32am
post #18 of 27

We raised English Bulldogs for 12 years. We origianlly had 3 Lucky, Addie and Victoria. This is a picture of Addie and Victoria. They are both gone now ~ Addie passed suddenly at the age of 6 and we had Victoria put down after she was loosing the battle with cancer in June of this year.

We had decided NO more dogs, and low and behold my hubby comes home with one he found running loose with a chain attached to her collar. She was very underweight and had no fur on her backside, and was full of fleas. After an investigation from our local Humane Society (PLEASE support your local shelters!!) Hope now lives with us. I had preconceived notions about Pit's and she has proven every one of them wrong. She is the most gentle loving dog we have ever owned. I have posted her picture also.

There is nothing like a dog to bring something special to your life.

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 1:00am
post #19 of 27

I have 2 shelties and they are my babies. They are great with kids and very easy to train.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 2:01am
post #20 of 27

I had a black lab mix for 16 yrs. He was 2 when we got him(from abusive people). You should have seen him when he realized he wasn't going to be hit ever again. He was the most loyal, devoted member of our family for 16 yrs. I cried for 3 days straight when he died.

dragomom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragomom Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 12:54pm
post #21 of 27

I have always wanted an Alaskan Malamute and an Irish Wolfhound.
Currently we have a black lab mix that is 11 years old and 2 boston terriers that are 3 years old. The bostons are great dogs but do stay forever a puppy meaning that they are full of energy all the time but would not trade them for nothing. The cats it depends on what day it is (we feed all the strays from the neighbors barn) somedays it is 3 and somedays it can be as many as 14.

One word of advise, before buying a puppy make sure you have done all research on health issues and disposition. we used to foster animals for our local humane society and they are by far the best animals for people. They prove to be so loyal and loveable. Check the shelters first.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 3:03pm
post #22 of 27

I love German Shepherd Dogs. They are great with kids and easily trainable and loyal. We had one and had to put him down (got sick and it aggrevated an intestinal disorder that we did not know he had until then)--it is a long story and we miss him terribly because he was the absolute best dog ever. We also had a Tibetian Mastiff. Nice dogs, VERY smart (sometimes too smart that you wanna smack 'em! icon_lol.gif ), but they also have a huge stubborn streak. They are great watch dogs becuase that is what they were bred for way back in the days in Tibet. We got another GSD last year--she is about 1/4 lab and it absolutely shows! This dog is a spaz! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif She drives us crazy, but she s sweet and lovey.

mkgsweims Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkgsweims Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 11:27pm
post #23 of 27

I have two Weimaraners. They are medium sized, very active, and smart dogs. If you do not have a lot of time and patience I would not recommed this breed.

If you are looking for an inside dog I would recommend a Rat Terrier, Jack Russel Terrier, or Minature Schnauzer.

Rat Terriers and Jack Russels are dogs with huge personalities and are lots of fun to have around. They tend to be good family dogs and are very active. Additionally, they are small enough to have in the house and not worry about them tearing the place apart. However, one fault is that thye like to stay active and if they become bored they will find something to do, be it good or bad.

Minature Schnauzers are also great dogs. They are not quite as high-energy are the terriers mentioned above, but they are still good company. This breed is known for being fairly even tempered and happy-go-lucky. Schnauzers is a great dog to keep in the house because they do not shed- that means no hair all over the couches! However, their coat must be regularly groomed and clipped (this is more of a finicial and time consideration).

Terriers and Schnauzers are appx. 15 to 20 pounds, making them more hardy then smaller dogs such as Chihuahuas and small Poodles.

If you have the money, English Bulldogs are good companions. They are very expensive and tend to have more health problems due to more intense line breeding.

I would not recommend a Chihuahua or Toy Poodle for a few reasons: 1) young children and fragile dogs are not a good comination, 2) it is easy to step on them and cause injury (I have seen tiny dogs get underfoot and stepped on, breaking bones and other injuries), and 3) I personally find these type of dogs to be more snippy and not as happy-go-lucky in their personalities (no offense to any owners).

Good luck to you!

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 1:15am
post #24 of 27

I have a big lovable cuddly German Shepherd. She's my baby. A bit hyperactive and a bit to smart for her own good(like when she got out 10 times in a row each time i had to trick her a brand new way, the old way wouldn't work anymore she'd knwo what i was up to.) But i love her and wouldn;t have it any other way. icon_biggrin.gif

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 1:25am
post #25 of 27

For the cat, dog, and forum icon_wink.gif obsessed, check out www.catster.com or www.dogster.com.

Another computer-based addiction that I have ....

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:29am
post #26 of 27

My family raised Shih Tzu's. I have always adored Shih Tzu's and have had 2 since I've been on my own. They're small dogs, about 12 pounds, and absolute loves...they want to be on your lap or next to you. They aren't "yappy" or ankle biters. They're bright and sweet. They're not barkers and they don't shed! You do have to have them groomed or plan on brushing them daily. I keep mine in a puppy cut. Mine have always been around kids and have loved to play with my cats. Just don't ever get a dog from a Pet Store! They're WAY overpriced and usually the "seconds" the breeders can't sell or are from puppy mills.

finnox Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:40am
post #27 of 27

I actually bought my pekingese from a pet shop. Didnt know any better but I wouldnt change him for the world. He is my baby I have had him for over a year and he was potty trained in 3 days. He is one of the smartest dogs I have ever seen and will sit on his butt with his front feet in the air just like a human forever. He also can stand up on his back legs for a long time as well but he only does that when he wants something. I bought another pekingese when I was going to breed him but soon realized that they are not all as smart as him. I tried everything and even gave her to my mom in hopes that she could figure something out. No good. So we had to sell her because we didnt want her to live outside and she couldnt live inside because she always want potty everywhere. I even got her checked out and treated her for everything they said could possibly be wrong but still no luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%