Help With Pricing 3D Jeep

Business By imanah Updated 1 Oct 2007 , 5:33am by imanah

imanah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imanah Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:00am
post #1 of 8

Hi guys. I was asked to make a 3d jeep (As seen on ace of cakes) serving 40 ppl. I was going to quote 4.00 per serving. She doesnt care for fillings and things of the sort. So I was thinking to just plain buttercream it on the inside. Is $4 reasonable? I am in Northern VA area. I charge at least $3.75/serving and up for all my 3d cakes.

Thanks !!!!!!!

7 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:48am
post #2 of 8

I think that's completely reasonable. Probably on the low side of reasonable. 3D cakes take a lot of time and most people I know start their 3Ds at $4, but some are up to $9/serving. Good luck and have fun-can't wait to see it!!

imanah Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for your response. I think $4 is fair. I think on the higher end of the scale would be cake celebs.

I'll wait and see her response if she wants me to go ahead with the cake.

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 2:09am
post #4 of 8

I start my 3D vehicle cakes at $450.00 and after you make one you will probably agree... that is cheap.

I don't have a jeep but if you look at my website www.mypastrychef.com you can judge the difficulty for yourself. $160 (40 servings @ $4) would be way to cheap in my opinion. If you are going to make it as detailed as Charm City Cakes $1500.00 is propably more like it.

be sure to post your pic

good luck
mpc

imanah Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 3:18am
post #5 of 8

Thank you pastry chef....It's amazing to see that I am cheap! I just started my business as of june. I am just learning how to be comfortable with talking money. Now I can say I'm not as shy as before. Do you feel that charging at least $450 should be reserved for "Celebrety chefs"? Please take a look at my website and tell me if you think my work is worth a bump up in my prices. For example my 3d bear was 4 per serving. The soccer ball was 3.75.
I feel like im confident in my skills but maybe I also feel as if I'm in the just starting out phase.

I think I should start including some pricing details on my website just to filter the unrealistic people who think everything should be $30.00.

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 3:36am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanah

Thank you pastry chef....It's amazing to see that I am cheap! I just started my business as of june. I am just learning how to be comfortable with talking money. Now I can say I'm not as shy as before. Do you feel that charging at least $450 should be reserved for "Celebrety chefs"? Please take a look at my website and tell me if you think my work is worth a bump up in my prices. For example my 3d bear was 4 per serving. The soccer ball was 3.75.
I feel like im confident in my skills but maybe I also feel as if I'm in the just starting out phase.

I think I should start including some pricing details on my website just to filter the unrealistic people who think everything should be $30.00.

I think you definitely have the talent and will be able to produce. But since you have not made any vehicles you will be spending a lot more time on it than you realize. You may be OK charging your prices if it is more whimsical/childish than real looking. If you are trying to duplicate the one from Ace of Cakes you are way too cheap.

I still do this... I probably charge less the first time I make a cake than the next time I do the same cake... but second time around will cost more but it will also look much better.

I finally put my prices on the web after 10 years. My phone doesn't ring so much with people who can't or aren't willing to pay for a specially designed edible art. I still after 12 years owning my own shop find it uncomfortable to talk prices. But hey I have to pay for any special things I want.

mpc
www.mypastrychef.com

imanah Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 8

I sent her out a quote...lets see what happenss. Thanks Pastry for all your advice. It means a lot coming from such a talent as yourself!

imanah Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 5:33am
post #8 of 8

After I gave her final quote....she never replies back to me. icon_smile.gif Oh well, the good thing is I have a Chocoalte Birthday cake due the same day. I can't imagine having two cakes due at once.

I think I will be posting some base prices on my website when I get the chance.

Thank you guys for all your help!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%