Freaking Out- Lightning Mcqueen And Mater

Decorating By MJsmom Updated 26 Sep 2007 , 5:08am by KimAZ

MJsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJsmom Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 3

Hello, dear decorators!!! I am in desperate need of your help. I'm sure you've all been where I am- I have so many ideas and possibilities in my head, that I don't know what will actually work/look good, etc.
I would LIKE to make 3D cakes of Lightning McQueen and/or Mater for my son's birthday next weekend. I've looked at GREAT pictures in the gallery, gotten some ideas, but I'm not sure which method is the best, especially since I'm kind of a novice...
Here are my questions:
-Do you think I could use the Wilton Cruiser pan withOUT carving? Carving scares me
-Could I use a loaf pan, make 2 cakes, then cut one in half to make the "cab" for Mater?
-If I absolutely HAVE to carve Lightning... are there templates that I could trace onto cardboard to make a guide??? I'm just afraid it would look all lopsided and awful!!!

Thank you SOOOO much for your help- I appreciate ANY advice you may have for me! Blessings to all!

2 replies
sada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sada Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 3

I remember that Boonenati hade posted link to her tutorial on making Lightning McQueen 3D. Try to search forum, or send her a pm and ask about it. Hope this will help you.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:08am
post #3 of 3

Hi MJsmom,
I did a 3D Lightning McQueen using the cruiser pan and didn't carve anything. I did add a cardboard tail fin that I covered in buttercream and stuck it in the cake using toothpicks. You can see it in my gallery.

You could absolutely make Mater with the loaf cakes like you mentioned. Should work just fine. If you've found some cakes here that you like, just pm the decorater and they'll most likely give you some tips!

Good luck!
KimAZ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%