Has Anyone Had To Give Up A Pet For This Buisness??

Business By jessi01 Updated 27 Sep 2007 , 1:46pm by aubrazacmom

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 18

Just wondering, Im at a place where I need to move forward and have my kitchen licenced and be fully legal and I am heartbroken that there can be no pets in the home at any time. I have a 7yr old cat and she mostly hides upstairs, I don't know where to go with her icon_cry.gif
Has anyone else had this problem or am I the only one having a hard time letting my pet go??? icon_sad.gif

17 replies
vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 18

I didn't have pets to give up but now I have a great excuse when the kids and DH ask for a dog.

Val

sweetsbycheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbycheryl Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 18

VA has a similar law- I have had my shih-tzu since she was a puppy (she will be 12 next month). I brought her back with me from Japan ( I got her there while my Ex was stationed there). I am just going to wait until she goes to Doggie heaven before I try to get licensed- there is no way I'd give her up now- she's blind and new places REALLY upset her!! Sorry I can't be of more help- maybe try getting space in an already licensed commercial kitchen (ie- a fire station or a church)? Good Luck!!

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 18

i could never give up a pet, not even for this! they are my children and i love them to death. i rent my kitchen from an artisan bread bakery, so no worries about pets and hair and such. a much better solution for me. i hope you are able to come to a decision that makes you feel good about what you're doing.

snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 18

Even if I had the option of working from my home there is no way I would do it if it meant I had to give up my pets. They are my babies and depend on my to provide for them. That was the obligation I signed up for when I got them. To me it would be worth it to rent a kitchen or do it elsewhere or not sell professionally than to abandon them. But thats just me.

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 18

You are not alone. I am from PA, Philly suburbia and I wanted to liscence my kitchen. I have 5 pets! I actually tried to adopt them out but it did not work out. I put an add in the paper but is seems people shy away when you ask for a vet reference. If you give up your pet, just make sure you are very comfortable with the new family and always, always get a vet reference. Best luck to you. Myself, I am just going to look for a kitchen elsewhere someday.

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 18

Man that would be some way bad karma... getting rid of a pet in order to be legal.

When you get a pet you sign on the dotted line agreeing to take care of that pet for the rest of its life.

authress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
authress Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 18

I sympathize with the frustration, but I, too would never give up a pet for a business venture. When you bring a pet into your home, you make a commitment to provide it with safe and loving home for as long as it lives--not as long as it is convenient. If they were going to a dear friend or relative, I think you could do it with a clear conscience--knowing exactly the kind of home they'd be getting. Even then, though, it can be very traumatic, especially for an older animal.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 18

I wouldn't give up any of my pets either. I would look for other options if I had to decorate out of my house. I've always had pets as long as I can remember and always will.

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 8:09pm
post #10 of 18

If you do decide to give up your pet, please give it to a rescue agency that requires home visits. That way, you will know what type of home your pet is getting. Our local non-profit rescue agency will adopt out pets ONLY with the agreement to 2 scheduled home visits and 1 non-scheduled visit. BUT, before that happens, there is a ton of paperwork to fill out and they must meet an approval before any adoption occurs. This is to prevent the pet from being put into another bad situation...because alot of them are abused or have great medical needs. But, some are just like you....their owner needed to let them go. An ad in the paper for a "Free" dog may make them bait for a dogfighting ring among other terrible things. So, consider it carefully before moving on and good luck on whatever you decide.

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 18

I couldn't do it myself, but I do understand your considering it. Some of the posts above give some good advice about adoptions. The BEST thing would be to let everyone you know that you are looking for a good home so that you can start the business- hopefully, some friend, family, or acquaintence would give her a good home, and a place where you can visit- even offer to cat sit at their place when they are out of town, or cover the costs of food and litter for them.

Alligande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alligande Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:02pm
post #12 of 18

I would never give up my dogs I adopted them from the shelter and I strongly believe it is a life time comitment. I sub-let a licensend kitchen solves the problem

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:26pm
post #13 of 18

We have two weinie dogs. Ours isn't a home kitchen but it is attached to our house. There is a door inbetween the house and the commercial kitchen. The fire marshall says it's okay. I hadn't thought about it before, but now I'm not sure what the health department guy will say when he comes to do his inspection (we're in the construction phase). Worse comes to worse, we'll cover it up, seal it off, something. I guess I'd have to go outside and come in from outside. Anyway, what I was getting to, is could you put a door up and close off your upstairsfrom your downstairs? Totally keep Kitty up there? They may not go into the rest of your house when they inspect, I don't know. Even then, you'll definitely have to come up with a plan of how you're going to go from "home" to "work" without transporting hair. It's something I've been pondering on myself. I have to have a restroom in my commercial kitchen, and I'm thinking I'll keep "cake clothes" in the restroom and change clothes when I go to "work".

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:27pm
post #14 of 18

We have two weinie dogs. Ours isn't a home kitchen but it is attached to our house. There is a door inbetween the house and the commercial kitchen. The fire marshall says it's okay. I hadn't thought about it before, but now I'm not sure what the health department guy will say when he comes to do his inspection (we're in the construction phase). Worse comes to worse, we'll cover it up, seal it off, something. I guess I'd have to go outside and come in from outside. Anyway, what I was getting to, is could you put a door up and close off your upstairsfrom your downstairs? Totally keep Kitty up there? They may not go into the rest of your house when they inspect, I don't know. Even then, you'll definitely have to come up with a plan of how you're going to go from "home" to "work" without transporting hair. It's something I've been pondering on myself. I have to have a restroom in my commercial kitchen, and I'm thinking I'll keep "cake clothes" in the restroom and change clothes when I go to "work".

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 5:47pm
post #15 of 18

I have to agree with most of the other posters, try to find a commercial bakery to rent, or try to find a way to close off your baking kitchen from the rest of the house. I guess it depends on the state statutes, here in Indiana, we have to have a second kitchen not used for daily meals-I'm not sure about the seperate entrences and all... but I would have to have a whole second kitchen to become a legal baker... good thing I'm not trying to go pro yet! But I would have the same problem, I think it would be easier to give up my child-but he's almost ready for college, so I'm getting ready for that anyway!

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 6:30pm
post #16 of 18

i guess i would ask how much you like your cat. Cats seem very difficult to place. If you don't like your cat that much and you can find her a loving home then go for it. A cat should not stand between you and your dreams. I generally consider pets as part of the family, but they are the bottom of the totem pole. Now in the case of the 12 year old dog, I would wait for doggy heaven.

I have a two year old chocolate lab. Sometimes he comes very close to being given up, but not for my business. He's allowed according to the regulations in NY. If it was just me he'd be gone. However, my 3 year old loves him and thinks he can do no wrong. He did not have to clean the floors of all three levels of the house when the dog had a bladder infection and went on a rampage of peeing. I know, not his fault but icon_cry.gif

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 6:32pm
post #17 of 18

Wow! thanks for all the input!
I really do not even want to think about giving up my cat (DH has no objections though tapedshut.gif ) We do live in a small townhouse and I don;t even know if zoning would allow a this location. I guess I need to find somewhere else to bake, but how would that work? i dont even know who or how to ask icon_redface.gif And I do most of my baking while the kids are at school and after they go to bed. How would that work in some other kitchen????? icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif I feel like Im up against a wall!!!

aubrazacmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aubrazacmom Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:46pm
post #18 of 18

I was in the same boat not to long ago. I had a 2 yr old black lab and I loved her to death and never ever would of given her up but my mother who lives right next door and lives alone volunteered to take her. It was still a hard decision but I still see her every day and the kids still get to play with her and she is a great companion for my mother. She is very protective of her and our whole family which makes me feel really good since my mom does live alone. If it wouldn't of been for her I would of had to sealed off a room (we can have pets here though - just not in the room while baking). Best of luck with your decisions, I know how hard it can be!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%