I was contacted by another cake decorator in the area who has been doing this for years.(She took over her mother's business.) She wanted to purchase frosting sheets for edible images from me. I said sure, so she came by. We were talking, & she said she'd been using wafer paper, & didn't like them very much, so she wanted to try the frosting sheets. Said she was getting a local newspaper to print out the image for her. So I asked why he' d have edible ink, etc. She looks at me with this incredible blank look & says that she didn't think using regular ink was a problem - I said no, not if you're not worried about poisoning someone! I just couldn't believe that she knew nothing about edible ink, etc. She is just using a regular printer that is connected to her computer. Can you believe it?
sounds like she needs to sign on to CC to learn a few things
OMG! Now, I can admit...I have done it on the wafer paper...FOR FAMILY ONLY! Took it off the moment I put it on or did the thing with gumpaste behind it! Wow! She could've been in a world of trouble! But, on the other hand, not everyone knows everything!
OMG!!! Just the thought of eating ink just makes me sick to my stomach.
I'd say she's been lucky that she didn't poison anyone. Printer ink is not meant to be ingested. Gah.....
I have to go bring my breakfast back up to the porcelain throne now.
Ok I feel better.
Not everyone knows this stuff, and unfortunately it's the people that should.
I will not use anything on my cakes that is marked as "non edible". This includes dusts, powders, and inks.
That would be like saying "well let me airbrush your cake with my non toxic paints that are not edible and it will be ok because it's just a touch of paint on the frosting." (I need to barf again)
The ignorance of some cake decorators running businesses and feeding the masses scares me to death sometimes. Then again if there's a problem and it makes the news... more customers for me! LOL