Buttercream Question.....again

Decorating By momoftwogirls Updated 31 Jul 2005 , 2:48am by gma1956

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 4

Okay, I have searched and read tons of posts, I have printed them off and put into a folder, and I have gone to wilton's site and read their posts... and I am still confussed! Bear in mind I am VERY new to cake decorating. And I am taking on a big project that I really want to get just right!!

THIS IS FOR MY MOTHER-IN-LAW!!!

The cake I am baking will be 14 inch with 10 inch on top.
How much icing will I need to cover it three times??

What is the best Buttercream for hot weather that tastes really good? The cake will be sitting outside under the umbrella - party starts at 6.

Can I use Cali4dawns receipe for Buttercream? Would that last in the weather? My mother in law wants to use the cake as the center piece for the table!!! I do not want to because I don't want it to melt!!

One more question....Also I plan to put flowers on it going down the sides of the cake... I am making hibiscus flowers.... how many do you think I should make??
How much icing (cups)?

Sorry so many questions in one post!!!!!! If you need to email me -- feel free to do so!!
Thanks so all who can answer my questions!

3 replies
Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 4

Here is a link to LadyCakes' website...she has a chart for amounts of icing.

http://ladycakes.com/Recipes/Frostings/frosting1.htm

Can't help you with the flowers...I'm sure someone else will post about that.

Jess

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 2:44am
post #3 of 4

I do not know how full you want the flowers to be...but I think I would make 15-20 so you will have extras. You might want to put some on the cake board.
traci icon_smile.gif

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 2:48am
post #4 of 4

It would depend on how big you are making the flowers. I always make about 5 to 6 extra just in case!!!!! They will keep if you don't have to use them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%