Ice Cream Cake?

Decorating By ByGrace Updated 28 Nov 2006 , 5:48am by sweetlybaked

ByGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ByGrace Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 6

I'm new to the forums, and pretty new to cake decorating too. I've played around with it over the years, but just now finished my first Wilton's course and waiting anxiously for Course 2 to start.

My son wants an ice cream cake, the kind with cake layers with ice cream between, for his 18th birthday. He prefers whipped cream icing, and I want to make a color flow decoration of a Vancouver Canucks logo. My questions:

1. I think I'm pretty ok with how to actually put the cake together. I was thinking a 13x9, torted; soften ice cream, spread on bottom layer, place top layer of cake and freeze. Correct?

2. Can I ice the cake after it's frozen, or should I ice it with the whipped cream icing as soon as I put it together? And can I freeze the whipped cream icing?

3. Should I make the borders of the cake with BC icing?

4. Will the color flow logo be hurt if I place it directly on the cake, right before serving?

Thanks for any help you can give this newbie. I've really enjoyed looking through the forums and especially the galleries!

5 replies
sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 6

Hi there! I've done a couple of ice cream cakes myself and have found these tips to be helpful.

Put the ice cream layer on top of the cake, if it ever starts to melt, it will soak into the cake rather than onto the board.

Freeze first. Make the cake and freeze it. Make the icecream layer and freeze it. Then put together. Then freeze again together, THEN ice w/ whipped topping.

The borders can be any frosting of your choice. Any reason why you don't want to stick w/ whipped?

Sorry, I can't help you w/ colorflow. I've never used it. I could be wrong, but I think it's just like RI, right? If so, you should be fine placing it ontop of the whipped.

ByGrace Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollielor

The borders can be any frosting of your choice. Any reason why you don't want to stick w/ whipped?

Thanks for your tips! The reason I was thinking BC for the borders is because I was thinking that the whipped cream can't be colored, for some reason? That's probably a wrong impression I picked up somewhere. If it can be colored, then I'm fine with using it for the whole cake. Thanks again!

sweetlybaked Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 6

The whipped can be colored. Are you using a whipped topping, or are you using something like cool whip? I recommend a whipped topping called Pastry Pride. You can get it at Smart and Final, it's wonderful. Tastes good and very easy to work with! HTH! Good luck w/ your cake, too.

ByGrace Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollielor

The whipped can be colored. Are you using a whipped topping, or are you using something like cool whip? I recommend a whipped topping called Pastry Pride. You can get it at Smart and Final, it's wonderful. Tastes good and very easy to work with! HTH! Good luck w/ your cake, too.

I was going to make the stabilized whipped cream recipe in the Wilton's yearbook. I haven't heard of Pastry Pride. Is it available in Canada? I'm in the Vancouver area.

sweetlybaked Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 5:48am
post #6 of 6

Hmmm, not too sure if it's there. I'm here in central California. I've never made the Wilton recipe, but I'm sure it's pretty much the same. I'm sure someone else on this forum can help w/ a question about that, though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%