Will 4 1/2 Quart Kitchen Aid Hold 2 Cake Mixes?

Decorating By CindyW Updated 2 Dec 2006 , 1:34am by Zmama

CindyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyW Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 14

I'm looking to buy a KA Mixer, But not sure if I need to splurge for the larger 5 quart. I rarely use anything larger than 2 mixes. Advice?
Know of any bargains this week?

13 replies
Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 14

Yes, the 4 1/2 bowl will hold 2 boxes of cake mixes. You can check the KA websites for any deals.

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 14

HI Cindy,

The 4 1/2 will hold 2 mixes but barely. I have the 4.5 and wish I had at least the 5. So pay a little more and at least get the 5.

Sandy

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 14

I agree that you should go with the 5. It just offers that added space that allows for less messes!!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 14

Think about how much you will use this mixer and how long you will have it. Go for the 5 quart, you will be so glad down the line that you did!

GolfAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GolfAddict Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 14

CindyW~

I have the Aritsan 5 qt, so I can not attest to the limitations of the 4 1/2 qt. HOWEVER, I just saw a post a week or so ago on CC that listed a website where you can buy refurbished KA's.

From the posts that I read, a couple people bought refurbished, and had no problems with them. So if they are a little cheaper then you can still get a 5 qt, and possibly spend little more than what you were going to pay for the 4 1/2 qt.

I will see if I can find the post, or you may be able to search for it using "refurbished" as a keyword. KitchenAid may come up with tons of results.

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 14

I still have my 4.5 mixer at that's all. When I first started baking, I thought I would only do a few cakes here and there. WELLLLLLLL, I got addicted and now I do sooooo much more. I really wish that I would have gone to something bigger in the beginning.

GolfAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GolfAddict Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 14

OK, found it. The official site is
http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/product_list.asp?SKW=KTAFACTSTAND&HDR=outlet&.

However, when I did a keyword search with "refurbished" in the forum, a whole bunch of posts came up with other websites also - JC Penney, Amazon, E-bay, Costco. You may want to check those out also.

finnox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnox Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 14

I know I have probably posted this to alot of different questions but sams club has the 5 quart professional for something like $254 that is a great price for the 5 quart one. I was actually thinking about getting another one just because its such a great price.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 1:53am
post #10 of 14

If you watch the ads, you can get the 5 qt for $199 at Walmart. I have debated getting it myself. My GE 4.5 holds 2 mixes, but I would like to do 3 at a time, so if I upgrade, I want a 6 qt. I think!

CindyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyW Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm going with a 5Quart
(unless Santa messes up, ha)

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:22pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesBySandy

The 4 1/2 will hold 2 mixes but barely.

And that is JUST barely. Go for the bigger one. I would have if I had had the choice.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:32pm
post #13 of 14

there is a 6 quart at aadeals.com for 319.00 and a rebate offer of 50 dollars (mail in) maybe you can look into that one too....not a bad price for a bigger mixer.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 1:34am
post #14 of 14

The 6qt is worth it! I bake maybe once a week and still wouldn't settle for anything smaller.

Go look at your mixing bowls. What size is the one you usually use? (It should say on the bottom) Then look at the smaller bowls. You can't buy bigger bowls, so buy the biggest KA you can afford the first time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%