Fondant Help

Decorating By Suzanne515 Updated 29 Nov 2006 , 1:48am by superstar

Suzanne515 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzanne515 Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 4

I am new to cake decorating (3 months). I made my first cake with fondant, and everyone left the fondant after tasting it, and just ate the cake. Is there a fondant that actually tastes good? I am doing an important cake that MUST taste good. Should I just stick to buttercream?

3 replies
SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 4

Fondant is an acquired taste anyway, but bad tasting fondant won't help at all! What kind of fondant did you use? Most of us here will agree that Wilton fondant tastes horrible.
MMF is good tasting and really doesn't add too much texture when it's rolled thin enough. I always use additional flavorings in my MMF too. I like it, I eat it, but I think most people just generally don't like the taste, mostly because it's not as common for cakes other than wedding cakes here in the US. They just aren't used to it.
Anyone else?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 4

I just made the easy MMF:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2148-Easy-Marshmallow-Fondant.html

and cut out some pieces for a baby shower cake:
onesie, baby socks, bib and assorted flowers.

While the mmf was tasty (almond flavored), it was quite sweet.

Wilton's fondant is awful - smells so horrible, I never had the inclination to taste it.

I, personally, enjoy eating a good buttercream - but that's just me!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:48am
post #4 of 4

I Love Satin Ice. I know it is pricey, but really tastes good. I think MMF is fab too, especially if you flavor it. Wiltons Fondant is awful. I use it if I am modeling something large that is not going to be eaten, it does tase awful.
June

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%