First Time Making A Wedding Cake But Need Some Help/advice

Decorating By yvonnebaratta Updated 25 Sep 2007 , 4:52am by vdrsolo

yvonnebaratta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvonnebaratta Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 3:04am
post #1 of 12

I will be making a wedding cake this weekend. It will be 3-tier and the cake is Tres Leches with strawberries and whipped cream filling. I was going to cover it with buttercream icing but the bride was asking if I could do fondant instead for a really smooth finish. I don't know what the rule is for fondant. I feel like it's not going to work because the cake will be too moist and also with the strawberry filling. Anybody have any take on this? I really need your help!!!!!

11 replies
vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 4:12am
post #2 of 12

I've never made a Tres Leches cake so I don't know how firm they are.

Anytime you use fondant, you need a good, firm cake, otherwise the fondant may be too heavy.

How about just doing a faux fondant buttercream using VIVA paper towel??

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 4:27am
post #3 of 12

Be careful not to soak it too much for stacked construction... definitely less than you would for serving right out of the pan. You can absolutely use fondant on it over at least a crumb coat (I prefer a full coat) of buttercream.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 4:39am
post #4 of 12

i agree with koryak about using less milk than the recipe calls for...chill WELL and make sure you properly dowel. i'd use foamcore instead of cardboard for stacking so it doesnt collapse from getting soggy. i think that you'll have buldging from the strawberries and cream since the cake isnt as firm. i'd suggest a swiss or italian meringue buttercream instead for the crumbcoat because it really firms up well and resists the buldges better. it'd be a good base for the fondant, also make sure its thin so its not as heavy...and if you can, get a practice cake in. not all three tiers, but one, to see if its going to hold up.

death_by_frosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
death_by_frosting Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 4:40am
post #5 of 12

Sounds VERY heavy. Milk, filling, fondant. Make sure you have strong supports. Also, you probably know but just to make certain, be sure you're using something that won't soak up the milk for your boards otherwise your asking for a land side. I agee with the earlier post about asking the bride about using faux fondant. good luck!

death_by_frosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
death_by_frosting Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 4:43am
post #6 of 12

nice thinking melysa, same thought, same time!

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 7:42am
post #7 of 12

First thought that came to mind: What are you thinking???? icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

O.k. now that I got that out of my system icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ..

Go REALLY light on the milk for the Tres Leches... I mean REALLY light... Besides, I have to honestly say, I think that type of cake is kinda gross because I like having my cake with a glass of milk, not a soaked cake that loses its texture... But the reason you want to go REALLY light on the milk is because you need the cake to keep its shape. Also the other reality is that this cake won't be able to be out long because of the food safety factor. The milk on the cake, the whipped cream, cut strawberries, it's calling for a last second delivery to be done.

The thing about fondant is that if you've never worked with it before it can be a bit of a challenge to get it rolled out thin enough and applied to the cake without any seams, cracks, or folds.. You'll need to have a base coat of buttercream on the cake before you apply the fondant because the fondant needs something to stick to. Whatever you do, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use that NASTY NASTY Wilton Fondant. That stuff is absolutely GROSS.

Just be sure to allow yourself more time than you think you'll need for the cake... like a DAY! These darn things end up easily taking far longer than you think is even possible.

Good luck with the cake!

yvonnebaratta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvonnebaratta Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks for all the advice! In my defense, I did not choose the cake!!!! It is unfortunately the bride's favorite cake and would not settle for any other kind. Good thing for me, she is a friend. And I'm too nice to say no.

I have already made the decision to ice with bc but thought maybe there is a way around covering it with fondant. I have explained this to the bride and there's no problem with that. As to stacking, I came up with an idea of cutting a whole in the middle of the bottom layer the same size as the middle layer then putting a styrofoam in to hold it and so on with the next layer. Hopefully, that will solve the collapsing problem. I just need to make extra cakes to serve everybody.

Well I can't wait till this is over though and will not make a tres leches cake for any wedding even if they pay me a million bucks!!!!

4dollars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4dollars Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 12

I haven't had any experience with that type of cake, but it sounds super moist. I would suggest to the bride using the stands that elevate the cakes individually. Then you wouldn't have to worry about a collapse. Just tell her, that you want to take every precaution to make her a cake will stand up until the reception. Not every one knows that there are some cakes that just don't stack. Just gently tell her, you would rather have a great tasting cake in one piece that can be served to her guest than a cake that would have tasted great, but was on the reception hall floor when they arrived.

Good luck with your cake! Post pics when your done!

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 10:51pm
post #10 of 12

sugarshack has a recipe & technique on here for smooth crusting buttercream that looks better than fondant. it is nice & smooth - - you smooth it with viva papertowel. i used to use rolled buttercream exclusively until my sis in law told me about the thread on here... then I was sold!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5274813-.html#5274813

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:23am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonnebaratta

Thanks for all the advice! In my defense, I did not choose the cake!!!! .... And I'm too nice to say no.

... As to stacking, I came up with an idea of cutting a whole in the middle of the bottom layer the same size as the middle layer then putting a styrofoam in to hold it and so on with the next layer. Hopefully, that will solve the collapsing problem. I just need to make extra cakes to serve everybody.

as one who knows about cake and its possiblities, it s up to us to let the recipiant know what works and what doesnt. it could mean the difference between success and a disaster.

as for the styrofoam, i would think think it would be less worrisome to make the entire cake out of dummies and do all sheet cakes if you were going to do that anyway.

i think its possible, with every precaution, but i still think its seriously risky. good luck!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:52am
post #12 of 12

Your cake will not collapse if you use the Bakery Craft SPS system. The plastic legs are attached to the plate above, no need to worry about dowels shifting, leaning, getting wet..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%