Help! Need To Dry Fondant Embesslishments- Fast!

Decorating By rosiecakes Updated 27 Nov 2006 , 11:40pm by lapazlady

rosiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecakes Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 12:36am
post #1 of 12

I'm making and eagle scout cake for tomorrow and I sculpted the eagle out of MM fondant and its on skewers to stand atop the cake, but after several hours its still soft, I'm afraid it won't be dry in time to stand, plus i wanted to "paint" it with silver luster dust, but i thought it should be dry first. Does anyone have any suggestions of what i can do to speed the drying? I tried putting it in the dehydrator and that only made matters worse because it warmed up the fondant to a soft gummy texture.

TIA-

Rose

11 replies
daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 12:43am
post #2 of 12

I'm not sure if this works with MMF, but with regular fondant, I put it in front of a fan & it drys a lot faster. You could try it with your MMF & see if it works.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 12:46am
post #3 of 12

Putting a fan blowing directly on it might help. Can your skewers be pushed in far enough to hold it up?
Sorry I don't have a better suggestion. Can you remake it with sugarpaste, that will dry much faster!

I made some pieces about a week ago, and they still haven't dried enough to use, but they are the chocolate MMF and I used choc. syrup in them.
Janice

rosiecakes Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 12:55am
post #4 of 12

well I dont know what i would need to make sugarpaste, i have no craft stores in this one horse town, basically if walmart doesnt sell it, and i dont have time to order online, i'm out of luck!

It's not really thick enough to add more dowels, it's a large version of the medal itself, roughly 1/4 inch thick with a wingspan of about 7 inches

I will try the fan though, i did try a hair dryer but then that was adding heat-

grrrrrrrr

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 1:08am
post #5 of 12

i've heard a food dehydrator works--not sure--sorry, i couldn't help

veejaytx Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 1:22am
post #6 of 12

Anything with heat is probably just going to make it worse.

Has anybody tried putting something like this in the refrigerator with good results?

Can you call Walmart and ask if they have it? I can't remember seeing it in there, but it is a possibility. Janice

rosiecakes Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 2:59am
post #7 of 12

well i have metalisized it...he he he and it looks so great just sitting on the foil like that i am thinking about just glueing cardboard to the back of it and saying "forget edible"!!!! I just know its going to crack if i dont reinforce it

the good thing about this cake is its for family and they all think everything i make is wonderful so they wouldnt care about the cardboard....BUT I WOULD KNOW.....

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 3:56am
post #8 of 12

well, i want to see pics of this, as soon as u get a chance

rosiecakes Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 7:01am
post #9 of 12

Well here is the eagle and i am very proud of now it came out even if i did hotglue cardboard to the back! i had a horrendous experience transporting the cake though and had to re-do the cake onsite- see disaster cakes for picts and gory details! titled "cheap straws and Louisiana roads"

the overall cake in the end looked pretty cute and my aunt and everyone was pleased so happy ending afterall!
LL

veejaytx Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 7:09am
post #10 of 12

Your eagle looks great, so who cares if it is backed up with cardboard! You did a wonderful job on it! Janice

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 11:34pm
post #11 of 12

WOW!! That looks fantastic!! You did a great job!! thumbs_up.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 11:40pm
post #12 of 12

The eagle is beautiful.

MMF takes forever to dry, it marshmellows and you know how long they sit on the shelf. You might try adding 50% gumpaste next time. It will make the fondant dry hard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%